Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishin'liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was just checkin these out and they claim to improve fuel mileage while improving low end torque and acceleration. Does anyone on here have or know someone that has it installed that could verify this. Thanks for the help.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If these types of things (cheap HP and MPG mods) worked then your heep would come from the factory like that.
They do work......................

On certain engines and those are mostly carbed engines.It's not so much the "swirl" effect that's useful it's more the added length in the intake track and in carbed engines that gives time to straighten the air out for a denser air charge.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do work......................

On certain engines and those are mostly carbed engines.It's not so much the "swirl" effect that's useful it's more the added length in the intake track and in carbed engines that gives time to straighten the air out for a denser air charge.
Only on carb'd and throttle body injected engines. The whole point is to swirl the combined fuel/air charge. Not really relevant to a port injected engine....Big paperweight.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting subject. I was doing some reading on these things a while back and for fuel injected engines they were pretty much put into the Vortex category. I found a web page where a scientific test was done and it made no (read ZERO) performance gains. When they wrote the company who produced it and asked them about the product, the company had the audacity to write back (with a straight face, I assume) that the fact that the user doesn't see any performance gains means that the product is "working as intended". *pause for irony*

Remember folks, if it ain't falsifiable, it ain't science.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The spacers also help insulate the TB from the INTAKE plenum. The TB will be slightly cooler than the intake. This one, with the swirl, probably won't help this delivery system.

These SMPI systems are already optimized, and each port on the plastic intake plenum is tuned. There is no reason to ad one of those spacers to THESE engines. You would do better with a simple a garolite TB spacer, but no one makes them for this application.

The Mitsubishi 2.5/3.0 has the plenum to manifold 1/4" or 1/2" garolite spacer, and a 1/4" TB spacer to completely insulate the intake system from the HOT engine. It improved very little even with those, but when you are at the mentality that "every little bit helps" then people add those things.

There is another thread on this here already...

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they work on the older engines. Especially on the carbs and TBI engines. However, our 3.7 is still made pretty much the same today as it was in 2002.
Almost, in 2005 they made a cam timing change. Why? No idea. When I get home I'll look at the FSM's and see what differnce it made.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changes to the KJ Engine, that I know of:

1) Location of the IAT sensor moved from intake manifold to Intake Tube
2) Recommended Oil Weight went from 5w-30 to 5w-20
3) PCV valve moved from the chimney stack oil filler to the back of the valve cover
4) Early change to the valves or springs to quiet lifter ticking
5) .... [not sure what else]

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Almost, in 2005 they made a cam timing change. Why? No idea. When I get home I'll look at the FSM's and see what differnce it made.

Yes, I listed the changes made in 2005 within a the past two or three weeks. so I guess I can post it again:

In 2005, the 3.7 engine was treated to numerous economy and idle-quality changes, with a new cam profile, lash adjusters, rings, and a 9.7:1 compression ratio. The cam profile change, IF that means timing change, would change the torque curve, that's all.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I listed the changes made in 2005 within a the past two or three weeks. so I guess I can post it again:

In 2005, the 3.7 engine was treated to numerous economy and idle-quality changes, with a new cam profile, lash adjusters, rings, and a 9.7:1 compression ratio. The cam profile change, IF that means timing change, would change the torque curve, that's all.

Yeah. They tried to fix what wasn't broke and created more problems in the process.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Compression ratio - 9.1:1 to 9.6:1, 210hp to 211hp, 225 ft/lbs to 236 ft/lbs, valve timing (only lists duration in degrees, no lift): intake - 236 ° to 245.7 ° ; exhaust - 250 ° to 261.6 °, all from 2005 to 2005.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compression ratio - 9.1:1 to 9.6:1, 210hp to 211hp, 225 ft/lbs to 236 ft/lbs, valve timing (only lists duration in degrees, no lift): intake - 236 ° to 245.7 ° ; exhaust - 250 ° to 261.6 °, all from 2005 to 2005.
All above is another reason that newer 3.7's have more issues then the older 3.7's.Longer duration equals more stress on the valve train.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Was that for ALL the 05 MY???

Just wondering...as mine's an early 05. July 22nd of 04...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The duration changes to keep the valves open longer for better intake, and exhaust; of course. Lift? That puts more strain on it more than duration does.

Lift is the linear measurement of how far off-seat a valve extends at its farthest point, which should be a direct relation to the measurement of the cam's lobe at its apex, or highest point out of round from its base circle. If placing a cam with more lift, into a stock head, the springs (compressing) may not be able to handle it. The only thing that was changed in cam profile, was duration.

Duration is the amount time, measured in degrees of crankshaft rotation; the valve remains past a certain distance off-seat and likewise, should proportionately reflect the amount of degrees of cam rotation the cam's lobe remains above a certain amount out of round.

With interference engines, duration has to be precise, You can't have to much lift om valve overlap with an interference engine, because both valves would get hit by the piston when it reaches TDC on that stroke. So, that means, say on the exhaust stroke, the exhaust valve can't remain open too far for just a tiny part of the intake stroke, the exhaust valve would get smashed by the piston at TDC on the exhaust stroke. There would never be intake overlap on the compression stroke, as that air that escapes would back out through the intake. Exhaust Valve overlap, can be used to increase low end torque, with non interference engines. With interference engines, BACK PRESSURE is tuned in the exhaust system for the torque curve. MORE back pressure means lower RPM range for max torque curve. The less back-pressure, the higher the RPM range shifts upward for max torque.

So, at each stroke, the both valves have to be closed at TDC for that stroke, or wham...

Last edited: