air lockers w/ selec-trac ll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I guess we will get straight to business.
I have the selec-trac ll system and I was wondering if you had to be in 4-low before engaging the lockers.
I would assume that is the case since the computer determines which wheels need power in 4-auto. I came to the kk after trading a JK for it, ( FAMILY ) but I wanted to stay with JEEP and the selec-trac is a bit different than the command-trac.
Now I am not new to liberties at all, I had a 2004 kj and loved it, but traded it for the JK and then realized that I missed the 4 doors. (4 door jk was not an option in my eyes, they are not for me.)
Anyway, if anyone knows the answer to this question,(which I know a few people on here should have: mtnluvr, boblemoche, both of which have the selec-trac ll.) I would appreciate it.
Oh, and on a side note. Digger, I registered on lost Jeeps about 2 weeks ago and I'm waiting for the e-mail. Can you take care of that?:D

ColCase

Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket lockers installed in your KK? Unlike other Jeep models, KKs are not available with lockers from the factory.

Otherwise, there is no reason to limit use lockers regardless of transfer case position.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If youre talking ARB's you can engage them anytime. Obviously you need to be in four wheel drive to get anything out of the front. The cool thing about ARB's is that you can lock in the rear and hold off on four wheel drive. Many times a locked rear end will take you where you want to go. There is of course the issue of the necessity of being in four LOW. That's a whole different story.

Last edited:

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket lockers installed in your KK? Unlike other Jeep models, KKs are not available with lockers from the factory.

Otherwise, there is no reason to limit use lockers regardless of transfer case position.

If youre talking ARB's you can engage them anytime. Obviously you need to be in four wheel drive to get anything out of the front. The cool thing about ARB's is that you can lock in the rear and hold off on four wheel drive. Many times a locked rear end will take you where you want to go. There is of course the issue of the necessity of being in four LOW. That's a whole different story.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was looking into ARB air lockers. I do understand that you have to be in 4-wheel drive to engage.
What I really did not quite understand was the fact that the selec-trac ll on the 08 and up kk is a bit different than the 07 and down kj.
The selec-trac on the kjs have the option of 4 wd full time and 4wd part time hi range and 4-low and kks with selec-trac ll have only 4 auto for the hi setting and of course 4- low.
With the electronics controlling which wheels in 4-auto gets the power, I was wondering if the lockers could only be used in 4-low or if they could be used in the 4-auto setting without messing with the computers mind.SHOCKED.gif
Hope what I am typing makes more sense as to what my question is, sorry for the confusion.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was looking into ARB air lockers. I do understand that you have to be in 4-wheel drive to engage.
What I really did not quite understand was the fact that the selec-trac ll on the 08 and up kk is a bit different than the 07 and down kj.
The selec-trac on the kjs have the option of 4 wd full time and 4wd part time hi range and 4-low and kks with selec-trac ll have only 4 auto for the hi setting and of course 4- low.
With the electronics controlling which wheels in 4-auto gets the power, I was wondering if the lockers could only be used in 4-low or if they could be used in the 4-auto setting without messing with the computers mind.SHOCKED.gif
Hope what I am typing makes more sense as to what my question is, sorry for the confusion.
The electronic shifted t-case you have has zero ability in your KK to send power to what ever wheel it wants in full time 4wd,your brakes do that.Install the ARB's and you will be fine,and you can also engage the ARB's anytime you want with just the flip of a switch.If anything the ARB's,when locked,will make those stupid gizmo's(ESP and such) from engaging as often when wheeling.

photograjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electronic shifted t-case you have has zero ability in your KK to send power to what ever wheel it wants in full time 4wd,your brakes do that.Install the ARB's and you will be fine,and you can also engage the ARB's anytime you want with just the flip of a switch.If anything the ARB's,when locked,will make those stupid gizmo's(ESP and such) from engaging as often when wheeling.

Yep, I would thing (not know) that adding lockers would keep all wheels spinning at same speed, therefor, would be sensed as equal torque, therefor would not send ESP into a crazy cycle.

Last edited:

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Yep, I would thing (not know) that adding lockers would keep all wheels spinning at same speed, therefor, would be sensed as equal torque, therefor would not send ESP into a crazy cycle.

Yep, that is how it works.... Both front and rear tires are locked to each other at the diff and the front and rear axles are "locked" at the T case

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just new to the whole 4wd-auto and was not sure how it would react with the computer.
I knew with my JK it was alright because it was basically 4wd lock hi and low
Still,......these new electronics throw me off a bit. I guess that is why you guys are here, some of you have already experimented with your KKs and it is always best to ask someone with a little experience with the newer systems.
Again, thanks....................I see arb lockers in the future for my KK.
As soon as the wife says it's ok.;)

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you could say I have experimented with mine (lol)

It was interesting to see the whole transformation process of your Jeep. I guess you don't have to worry about hail damage anymore huh?
oh,...........and it is a nice looking rig.(biggthumpup)

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
It was interesting to see the whole transformation process of your Jeep. I guess you don't have to worry about hail damage anymore huh?
oh,...........and it is a nice looking rig.(biggthumpup)

Yep, no more hail or pin strips from trees :D

photograjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do get damage, you get to just spray it back on. Another comment I left you in another thread:
With the low profile and smooth finish, you should do a couple of old fashioned Dukes of Hazard hood slides.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
If you do get damage, you get to just spray it back on. Another comment I left you in another thread:
With the low profile and smooth finish, you should do a couple of old fashioned Dukes of Hazard hood slides.

:eek: smooth finish :eek:

By the time I get across the hood, I won't have an ass left.... The stuff is like 30 grit sand paper