Air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of intakes are you all running? (air intake not manifold) I had run ebay ones on old Mustangs with luck....but the prices seam to be getting higher.

those of you that made one....what materials did you use? pics and specs?

Im freshening up the wifes KJ this summer too and before I drop $ on a filter I thought Id see what type of intake I can get for the same $. I can get a new K&N drop in for $39.00

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhasp Tom has spoken

Most all of those are cheap worthless piles of junk even if they charge 50 or 250 for them.
Amsoil ( or good paper ) filter in the stock box, 3 to 4 inch hose to the grill area directly into the box and be done

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for the K&N or Amsoil drop-in filter. There's been a lot of debate about CAI intakes and how they're not very good for the KJ. The stock air intake is very good and efficient. Lots of people like snorkels too.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing personal, but I'd as soon stuff an old t-shirt in the filter housing, as run a K&N filter on ANY engine.:favorites68:

I actually tried one years ago, on an 87 Subaru wagon I had. Blasted thing let so much dirt thru it wasn't funny.

OTOH, have had good results with an Amsoil synthetic OEM drop-in on the CRD. That, or a NAPA WIX paper filter.

Last edited:

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing personal, but I'd as soon stuff an old t-shirt in the filter housing, as run a K&N filter on ANY engine.:favorites68:

I actually tried one years ago, on an 87 Subaru wagon I had. Blasted thing let so much dirt thru it wasn't funny.

OTOH, have had good results with an Amsoil synthetic OEM drop-in on the CRD. That, or a NAPA WIX paper filter.

:icon_eek:I JUST **** a K&N drop-in filter in... hopefully I don't experience the same problems as you. Maybe you just had a defective one? :shrug:

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dad likes to run WIX filters.

I just put a Spectre in the XJ a couple weeks ago.....

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:icon_eek:I JUST **** a K&N drop-in filter in... hopefully I don't experience the same problems as you. Maybe you just had a defective one? :shrug:

Well, if you're doing mainly on-road/highway driving, might be OK. If you're going down dirt roads/offroad, where you'll encounter a lot of dust....:shrug:

One friend up south of Austin is originally from Wyoming. He related how the maintenance foreman for one mining company out there tried to save money by using K&N filters on all the company trucks, instead of having to pop for paper filters every so often.

Three months later, they had to rebuild or replace the engines in EVERY truck that had a K&N filter on it - they'd let thru so much dust that it had literally ground up the insides of the engines.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that *****. I'll have to watch out for that! It's not dusty at all in Virginia Beach, but do have sand when I drive on the beach. :D Not too worried about the said because the grains are a lot bigger than dust particles. I usually check my air filter often anyway-- multiple times before a new filter is even due.

K&N says on the box that people living in dry/dusty places, especially those in the South West, should use some sealant they sell to put around the edge the filter sits on to help prevent dust getting in. I'm guessing that's the cause of your problems.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N says on the box that people living in dry/dusty places, especially those in the South West, should use some sealant they sell to put around the edge the filter sits on to help prevent dust getting in. I'm guessing that's the cause of your problems.

Ehhh, could be. That, and the pine needles that were sticking halfway thru the cotton.

With only one vehicle presently, I can't afford to have an air filter thats not up to the task of handling whatever conditions I might run into.

Air filters are cheap. Engines aren't.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a cold air intake from Chome Intakes of CA., and so far I like it. If I remember I paid like around $ 25.00 or $ 27.00 shipped. It sounds great with a Turbo Muffler from Dyamax, and a Helix Throttle Body Spacer from Taylor. On the low end I get better response from 0-60 hp gain, also 2-4 mpg gain. I have used K&N Filters in all other kinds of trucks and cars. You may see some hp gain, but not like a cold air intake regardless of what brand you use. I say try a cold air intake, not a K&N Fliter for the stock air box. But, you should always, ask yourself what you are going to do with your KJ or KK you may even need a Snorkel if your playing in the water with it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I'll definitely be keep an eye out on my K&N filter. Thanks for the words of warning.
K&N air filters use a medical grade gauze,ever look at the stuff and see the huge gaps in it?The oil just gets sucked down the intake track but luckily the 3.7 does not use a MAF sensor which get's messed up by K&N's oil all to often.K&N's claim to fame is being "Free Flowing",which they are but at the expense of filtering the air for longevity.Racing apps there great,daily driving they do more damage then good.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a cold air intake from Chome Intakes of CA., and so far I like it. If I remember I paid like around $ 25.00 or $ 27.00 shipped. It sounds great with a Turbo Muffler from Dyamax, and a Helix Throttle Body Spacer from Taylor. On the low end I get better response from 0-60 hp gain, also 2-4 mpg gain. I have used K&N Filters in all other kinds of trucks and cars. You may see some hp gain, but not like a cold air intake regardless of what brand you use. I say try a cold air intake, not a K&N Fliter for the stock air box. But, you should always, ask yourself what you are going to do with your KJ or KK you may even need a Snorkel if your playing in the water with it.
:beatdeadhorse5:

TB spacers do nothing on a FI engine,just a $100 paperweight.There are not aftermarket CAI for a KJ,the only ones made are the OEM intake box.Cold air means more HP,hot are equals less HP.If you saw a 2-4mpg increase you just needed a new air filter or your KJ needed some TLC to begin with.No air filter setup will gain you anything in power or mpg's,the PCM will make sure of that.Anyways with today's modern FI engines you need to reach past the 75% clogged stated in the air filter before it effects power and mpg's due to the PCM's programming.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... I feel a little cheated.

I asked about the K&N in another thread and no one said anything negative about it.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it was on par with a similar one from Amsoil. I knew I wouldn't really get any mpg gains other than just having a fresh air filter nor really have more hp.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TB spacers do nothing on a FI engine,just a $100 paperweight.There are not aftermarket CAI for a KJ,the only ones made are the OEM intake box.Cold air means more HP,hot are equals less HP.If you saw a 2-4mpg increase you just needed a new air filter or your KJ needed some TLC to begin with.No air filter setup will gain you anything in power or mpg's,the PCM will make sure of that.Anyways with today's modern FI engines you need to reach past the 75% clogged stated in the air filter before it effects power and mpg's due to the PCM's programming.

I will let you say what you may, but I will say that I give a lot of TLC to my KJ and what I posted is all true, when I bought my KJ it needed alot of work starting with plugs and transmission needed new fluid. Then it still sucked on power, so the first was the cold air intake, than the muffler, then TB spacer, and a lift. It runs great, sounds great, and can feel the power love it. I do enjoy reading your posts, I feel that they are very informative most of the time, so chill out man. It's all about information, and having fun.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... I feel a little cheated.

I asked about the K&N in another thread and no one said anything negative about it.

Hey, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Remember, I bought one of those too - then a couple months later have my friend relate the mining company story, and then see all the dirt and other crap it'd let thru into my carb and intake manifold, on that little 1.8 L four ****** in the Subaru. IOW, I've been guilty of the same syndrome a lot of other people fall prey to - we want to improve our rides and tinker just a little TOO much - and end up letting ourselves be susceptible and believe some of the marketing hype.

Hey, for the time being, just grab a Wix paper filter at NAPA and keep it in the back as a spare. If you know you're going to end up someplace nasty, you can pop the Wix in. Also will come in handy to keep the beast operational while you've got the K&N filter popped out for cleaning and oiling.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've been using a Napa Gold drop in paper air filter.
Looks identical to a Fram, right down to the orange
seal. For $4.00 who can complain?

I am going to switch over to a Spectre aluminum air
box/washable paper air filter:
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9833
for a custom cold air/snorkel intake.
(As soon as it gets here!)