Aftermarket spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to switch out the spark plugs this weekend and I wanted some suggestions on some aftermarket plugs. Any suggestions or anything I should know?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK coppers are pretty well regarded, but not sexy enough for some people. A lot of people here like the Autolite platinums. I used the Bosch Platinum Plus and am perfectly happy with them.

Lots of heated discussion over the gimmicky stuff like the E3's and splitfire multi-electrode types with super-heterodyne plasma light saber electrodes.

Personally, I avoid anything but the basic, single electrode plugs. But I'll let other people pipe in on that. It's almost a guaranteed threadcloser.

As for Platinum plugs of any type, use a plastic gapper as standard metal gappers will damage the platinum coating on your plugs.

There's a how-to on changing plugs with different tips on getting to the #6 plug. Some people remove the air intake (my preference) others remove the coolant overflow res.

If you don't bother with the how-to, blow out recessed plug holes with compressed air (if possible) after taking off the coil packs but before removing the plugs. A lot of grit gets down in there and will/may fall into open cylinder after the plug comes out.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much covers it.... shame,this is such a good topic.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go Jnaut, or should we call you "Buzzkill". :D

Plug threads usually get pretty heated, fun to watch the downward spiral. I run NGK single platinum whatever's when they're on sale, or Autolite single platinums. Skip all the Iridium plugs. We have it on good authority (I believe it was Troy, TJKJ) that the Libby's coil packs don't fire a hot enough spark to take advantage of an Iridium plug.

Too bad MSD doesn't make a multi-spark or better coils for the KJ.:mad:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Way to go Jnaut, or should we call you "Buzzkill". :D

Plug threads usually get pretty heated, fun to watch the downward spiral. I run NGK single platinum whatever's when they're on sale, or Autolite single platinums. Skip all the Iridium plugs. We have it on good authority (I believe it was Troy, TJKJ) that the Libby's coil packs don't fire a hot enough spark to take advantage of an Iridium plug.

Too bad MSD doesn't make a multi-spark or better coils for the KJ.:mad:

I think you should fire off a strongly worded letter to MSD about this Ian.:p

To the OP, like was stated, the everyday run of the mill copper plug works fine. I think I put a set of Autolites in last time I changed the sparks.

:-k That reminds me, I should pull a couple of them and check them out.

Skidmark

Reaction score
I have a 2010 and when I loosen the bolts on the coil packs they don't come out. What am I doing wrong.

autostation

Reaction score
autostation

Any vehicle using coil over ignition can benefit from the use of double platinum or iridium plugs. The decreased spark capacity of these smaller coils is the reason platinum and iridium plugs were developed. These plugs also have a longer life reducing the need for more frequent changing out. Also Libertys are prone to severe backfire when the plugs are at the end of their service life which can result in the plastic intake being damaged. Don't take a chance, change your plugs out 10K before the factory recommended interval and use an OEM equivalent plug or better. Over 40 years, ASE master tech, L1.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any vehicle using coil over ignition can benefit from the use of double platinum or iridium plugs. The decreased spark capacity of these smaller coils is the reason platinum and iridium plugs were developed. These plugs also have a longer life reducing the need for more frequent changing out. Also Libertys are prone to severe backfire when the plugs are at the end of their service life which can result in the plastic intake being damaged. Don't take a chance, change your plugs out 10K before the factory recommended interval and use an OEM equivalent plug or better. Over 40 years, ASE master tech, L1.

Nope no need for double plats or iridiums
common copper core work best
many have tried others and come back to just the coppers
Change them every 30,000 or so and good to go
cheap/work better than double plats etc

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to go back to school and get some real training.

The reason platinum and irdium plugs came about was these newer FWD vehicles and there intakes hiding one bank of plugs so not a easy or cheap job anymore.Even some of the early/mid '90's vehicles the plug changes where not easy like the F body camero with the 5.7,over 5 hours for labor to change the plugs,hence the irdium plugs GM now uses and designed there engines for.