Aftermarket mechanical cooling fan question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Havn't heard of one. You having trouble with your fan Ry?

Dave

bigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine installed one on his ranger. He got an adapter from summitracing.com that screws on to the pump. Then, allowing the bolt on of a flex fan, etc.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check and see if I can get a new one from a dealership...

Bought mine online from one of the mopar parts sites, $65.

You can get a Hayden heavy duty viscous fan clutch from O'Reillys for about $50.

Here's the link to the Hayden site, P/N 2736, heavy duty fan clutch for a 2004 KJ 3.7 L V6 -

http://www.haydenauto.com/Online Catalogs-eCatalog/Content.aspx

Here's the webpage from OReilly's, about $56 -

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_03389_1425866_2068&pt=03389&ppt=C0331

Check the shaft on your water pump - should already be threaded to accept the fan clutch - just remove the plastic cover and screw it on.

When you order the OE plastic fan blade, might want to order the 4 bolts that mount it to the clutch as well - rather rare combo of length and thread size to find in a hardware or auto parts store.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE plastic one is very light and pulls massive air.The CRD guy's are swapping out there metal ones for the gas version for better cooling.

I'll vouch for that - the OE plastic fan and a Hayden severe duty clutch move a TON of air when it's engaged - opening the hood on that diesel after a good run on a hot day, it's like getting a blast furnance in your face.

A friend in Charlotte, Ranger1, reported his EGT cooldown times were cut in half after doing this mod.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE plastic one is very light and pulls massive air.The CRD guy's are swapping out there metal ones for the gas version for better cooling.

I'm with Ryan on this one. Which plastic fan, Troy - the standard cooling fan or the one for the HD cooling system?

I can't find the HD plastic fan on any of the online Mopar sites so I need to confirm that's the one you're talking about.

One of my planned mods is getting something close to the HD cooling system (prolly without the HD shroud) and also running the trans cooler lines into the '02 in-tank rad cooler, then back out to the standalone cooler then back to the ******.

So any help on the plastic fan would be great! :happy160:

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Ryan on this one. Which plastic fan, Troy - the standard cooling fan or the one for the HD cooling system?

I can't find the HD plastic fan on any of the online Mopar sites so I need to confirm that's the one you're talking about.

One of my planned mods is getting something close to the HD cooling system (prolly without the HD shroud) and also running the trans cooler lines into the '02 in-tank rad cooler, then back out to the standalone cooler then back to the ******.

So any help on the plastic fan would be great! :happy160:

Bob
There is only one gas KJ plastic fan,it's just part of the HD cooling package,not a HD fan.

You will need to proper shroud also or there is no point adding the mechanical fan.The new shroud also requires a new electric fan also.The electric fan is the main cooling fan on the gas KJ and must be retained.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I haven't had the chance to check on the plastic fan blade yet...
Been flat on my back unable to move.
I did get the HD Hayden fan clutch BTW.
Fortunate for us our KJ has the HD cooling fan shroud fitted so it's just a matter of fitting the fan clutch and fan and we'll have plenty of cooling finally!

Thanks all