Advice: Subaru vs Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sp0rk

Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't start any kind of flame war, but I have a decision to make and I would enjoy some input from Jeep owners.

Currently my tried and true '86 dodge ram van is waining in strength and Agility. It's my first car, and I'm sad to see it go, but with repair costs and gas prices soaring, my parents are itching to help me get a new car (see, i'm a college student, and the deal is that as long as I'm in school, they pay for one tank a week...which easily exceeds $300 a month). I've narrowed it down to a few choices:

05 Jeep Liberty Sport with the 4-cylinder, 4x4, completely stock
00-02 Subaru Outback Sport
02-04 Subaru Impreza Wagon
00-04 Subaru Forester

I would be happy with any of the subes, but the Jeep is a new choice that recently popped into my dad's head. My parents have owned two subes, both foresters, Rolled the first one and escaped completely unharmed (the right front wheel snapped on the curb as my dad was avoiding a driver who was coming into their lane on a two-lane two-way highway. If it weren't for the curb, the sube probably would have held fast). Currently they're driving a 04 and loving it. So, I know what subes are all about. My only experience with a Jeep, though, is with my friend's 96 4-cylinder cherokee. His vehicle first piqued my interest. Very fun, especially now that he got the engine rebuilt and suped up.

My question is, how would you guys compare a Forester to a Liberty? How have the 4-cylinder engines held up? From my brief perusing, it looks like most of you have v6's. That's cool and all, but due to cost and gas issues, the 4-****** is a must. This is a vehicle I will use. I will be taking it off road and getting into all kinds of adventures, as well as commuting to school with it. Any other comments or suggestions will be taken to heart. Thanks guys.

misterzero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
College student as well. I hear your pain.

Well, if you get a Jeep, spend the little bit extra and get a V6. Honestly, from what I've heard, the 4 cyl. doesn't really get that better gas mileage.

If you're really wanting to go off-road, the Subaru shouldn't even be an option. Subaru's are a good, reliable car. I've known a few people that have had great experiences with them. But they're not made for true off-road situations. They're made to get you through very tough weather conditions, not rock crawling. :) The only one I would think could even possibly tackle true off-roading would be the Forester, but I'm not positive. I KNOW the Impreza and Outback won't. My cousin had an Impreza and it was no higher than my old Daewoo.

If you're wanting to off-road, go with Libby. If you're wanting to go on easy trails, then the Subaru would work okay, especially with the gas concerns.

Hope that helps.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hi and welcome aboard...

I only know of a few ppl that has had the 4 bangers, and, from what I take, they are happy w/ it and has said that it's sufficient enough.

secondly, it's hard to compare a Forester to a KJ. (oddly enough i was in your shoes a few years back...was debating to go for an outback sport). In terms of gas, the Forester would probably be a bit more economical, as it's the lighter of the 2. in off weather conditions, both are pretty much equal too ( given that you go into 4-hi on slippery conditions) but slight advantage to the suby as you dont have to manually engage it to get all 4 wheels going.
safety wise, i've read of a few KJ's getting into really bad accidents, and in all those cases, the occupants all walked away w minor scratches....and well u know what the suby can do.

thing is..the KJ will be able to go to a LOT more places the suby wont even dare go to. sure, the forester shares the same platform as the rally proven impreza, but, thats a different breed of "off-road" machine.
like i mentioned before, i was debating on either going w/ an outback sport, but ended up the the KJ. and i havnt regretted it one minute.
the 4 ****** used is the same ones thats used in the minivans too i think.

The KJ is a lot of fun to drive. especially in the winter time. finding parking spots when there's snow is really ez. un plowed spots are really fun to get into. thing that i cant do with i kj that i would love to do with a suby is zip around in mtn roads..those nice twisty roads are fun w/ the suby, and not so much on the KJ.....(SUV's in general...)

have u thought about getting the CRD?...(diesel)
best of all about having a KJ...

jeepkj.com......

LoL

you really cant go wrong with either choice..but obviously...we all here will vote for the Jeep...heh

oh yeah....06 model year the 4 cylinder engine wont be avaialable anymore. 3.7 will be the standard engine

2003KJ

Reaction score
first off welcome to the site.

As mentioned above, the suby would be a great car for a ton of back and forth school to home commuting, but not so great on your rock crawling trails, or those with huge ruts.

I've seen a few 4 bangers around, haven't really heard any complaints bout them (reviews i've read on the internet suggest it's way under powered). If I were you, go with the 3.7 V6. It's not THAT bad on gas (i average 14-15, but i'm workin on improving that) but the majority get better than that. It all depends on driving style, how well you take care of it, etc etc. Think about it, the KJ has a curb weight of almost 2 tons. Thats alot for a little 4 ****** to haul around. Also the size of the engine, 2.4L 4 cyl, to 3.7L V6.

Just my opinion, go with the Jeep, and go with the V6. You'll be happier =D>

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got mine, I did a lot of looking at various SUVs, and it came down to the Forester and the Liberty. I liked the look of both of them, and they are apparently the only two small SUVs that offer a 6 cylinder, manual transmission WITH a sunroof. A lot of other SUVs assume that if you want a sunroof, you like options, and thus don't want a manual transmission.

I took a poll of friends of mine, showing them photos of the different options and some specs that were important to me. Basically, everyone told me "The Forester looks like a soccer-mom wagon. Get the Jeep". I got it and love it!

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own both a Subaru (04 Impreza WRX wagon) and a Jeep (see sig below) so I don't know what to tell you. I'll give you some facts and let you decide.

Subaru Pros:

First and foremost- fuel economy. Our Liberty has been averaging 16-18 MPG, my first Subaru (2000 Legacy Outback) averaged 25-27. My WRX is managing 24, (premium fuel though).

Ride quality- The Legacy and Forrester ride like cars, with a fairly plush ride. Our Liberty?- not so much. My WRX even rides better than the Jeep.

Jeep Pros:

Ruggedness- The off-road capability is awesome. A lot of people look at the Lib. as they do a Rav 4 or a CRV and it's really no comparison.

Power- The 3.7L is perfect for the vehicle. The 2.5L Boxer 4 is slightly underpowered for the Legacy and Forrester, but probably adequate for the Impreza.

Room- Vs. the Impreza, it's no contest. But, the Legacy and Forrester will have the same, if not more room than the Jeep.

There's some facts for you to chew on.

Mike

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ Cost

If cost is the major issue (as it usually is) then look for a slightly used Libby. I got an 03 at the end of 04, it had 12K for miles and it was much better priced than new. It came with a Chrysler certified warranty that goes to something like 80K miles and 8 years or so. This way you can get a 6cyl at a 4cyl price level.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, if I were a college student, I would put my money into having as little student loans/ debt as possible after college. Find yourself a gently used Honda that won't break down, cheap to insure, great MPG, and you can sale it after college and still get some money back out of it. I tell you that from my own experience.

But with that being said, if you are going to get a new car, Jeeps are just cool and you would be very happy with a KJ. Fun to drive, a great view, and plenty of room. My brother had an Outback for a year and got rid of it because of being low to the ground and having the feeling of being closed in. Plus his wife didn't want to drive it due to the stereotype of being a *******, lol.

dnm45227

Reaction score
If I were you, it would be the Jeep. I don't know anything about Subaru, and I'm sure they are fine cars. However, if you even think about going off road they can't come close to the Lib's performance. I got my Lib used as well ('02 Ltd, V6, 41000 miles, just about every option) November of '04 for 13,400 (know someone who does lease returns for a bank). As far as holding value, I've heard that Jeep's hold value on par with Mercedes (just what I heard). My theory is, if you are going to make a payment, spend a couple of extra bucks a month and get what you want. I understand the logic behind going cheap and reliable, but if you can swing the cash, why pay for something you plan on dumping in a couple of years? Gas mileage, well my wife is a district manager for a newspaper and since we bought it she put over 20,000 miles on it and we get about 15mpg (95% city driving). Repairs to date: battery, tires, 1 oil change (that I now of. Don't yell, I can't make her do anything), front brake pads.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I'd have to REALLY look at what off-roading really meant to me. If all's it meant was the occasional dirt road, and maybe parking on the grass when going to family reunions then choose the Subaru's, in your list I don't think there's one better than the other... interior space considerations might make your final decision for you.
If off-roading means off-the-beaten-path, through rugged forest trails with 2 feet of water here and there, or rock crawling on the trails of Moab, then the Jeep is the only way to go.
That being said, I'd choose the Jeep and for the fuel economy, I'd make it a CRD (common rail DIESEL!). The diesel will get you the fuel economy you're parents are looking for (I've heard they're around 25-28mpg) and will get you the utility and fun vehicle you want.
I looked at the Jeep.com website and it appears when you choose the diesel you can't choose a transfer case. If you could choose here's what I'd get
Sport 4x4, 2.8L Diesel, Selec-trac transfer case, Trac-lock Differential, Skid Plate Group, Trailer Tow Group and Sunroof. It MSRP's at $26,210. but aren't they doing that "Employee Pricing" thing right now? You might get a few grand off... might be worth a shot!

sp0rk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it. I talked to my friend who's a Jeep guy, got a 96 Cherokee with a rebuilt engine with a stroker kit - the thing freakin' flies, and he takes it all over the place. His opinion on the liberty...wasn't too shining. The phrase "***** girl car" came up several times, as well as "rolling pile of crap." So, what I think i'm going to do is for the time being is bend to my parent's will (since it is going to be mostly their dime), and go with either a forester, adorned with a "******* and Proud" bumper sticker just to play on the stereotype, or try to convince them to go with a WRX wagon with the turbo...heh heh heh. I would go with the diesel Liberty if they existed in california, unfortunately they don't. My buddy said they were test marketting them in a few locations, and are going to expand the market in the next couple of years to include California.

As far as off roading goes, I'm not planning on doing any ******** trail driving for a while - i know what the sube (esp the forester) can do, and it will do basically what I need it to do for the time being. Right now I think the right choice for me, since I have so little free time, is go with the subaru and keep the jeep idea on the back burner for a nice little post-graduation project.

Thanks again!

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
sp0rk said:
I talked to my friend who's a Jeep guy, got a 96 Cherokee with a rebuilt engine with a stroker kit - the thing freakin' flies, and he takes it all over the place. His opinion on the liberty...wasn't too shining. The phrase "wussy girl car" came up several times, as well as "rolling pile of crap."

Speaking as a LONG time CJ/Wrangler owner... ya gotta realize that Wrangler fans HATE any radical change... we hated it when they went to square headlights (the YJ), we hated it when they went to coil springs (TJ), Most of the TJ owners didn't like the Unlimited's when they came out.... basically we're awfully resistant to change.. follow the old motto of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Even the old CJ-7's would go about anywhere with a little modification.. and (stock at least) they weren't nearly as capable as the newer TJ's.

The point I'm getting at is, don't take the word of a CJ, YJ, TJ owner who hasn't at LEAST ridden/driven in a 4x4 Liberty... that's about as biased an opinion against the Liberty as you'll get short of a FORD fan. I'll guarantee you that as much as I loved my old TJ, this little Liberty will go damn near anywhere I would have ever taken the TJ... and in a LOT more comfort too (I do still miss my convertible soft top though). I'm still getting ribbing from my buddy with an old Cherokee myself, but I guarantee you that once he rides in the new Liberty, he'll be singing a different tune.

Luis

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Tightwadsjeeper said:
sp0rk said:
I talked to my friend who's a Jeep guy, got a 96 Cherokee with a rebuilt engine with a stroker kit - the thing freakin' flies, and he takes it all over the place. His opinion on the liberty...wasn't too shining. The phrase "wussy girl car" came up several times, as well as "rolling pile of crap."

Speaking as a LONG time CJ/Wrangler owner... ya gotta realize that Wrangler fans HATE any radical change... we hated it when they went to square headlights (the YJ), we hated it when they went to coil springs (TJ), Most of the TJ owners didn't like the Unlimited's when they came out.... basically we're awfully resistant to change.. follow the old motto of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Even the old CJ-7's would go about anywhere with a little modification.. and (stock at least) they weren't nearly as capable as the newer TJ's.

The point I'm getting at is, don't take the word of a CJ, YJ, TJ owner who hasn't at LEAST ridden/driven in a 4x4 Liberty... that's about as biased an opinion against the Liberty as you'll get short of a FORD fan. I'll guarantee you that as much as I loved my old TJ, this little Liberty will go damn near anywhere I would have ever taken the TJ... and in a LOT more comfort too (I do still miss my convertible soft top though). I'm still getting ribbing from my buddy with an old Cherokee myself, but I guarantee you that once he rides in the new Liberty, he'll be singing a different tune.

Luis
That pretty much just sums it up right there. Can we get you a badge or something? lol3.gif

Don't let the opinion of one person sway you a different way. If you want the Libby, get it. \:D/ If not, then oh well... whatever makes YOU happy.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sp0rk said:
Thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it. I talked to my friend who's a Jeep guy, got a 96 Cherokee with a rebuilt engine with a stroker kit - the thing freakin' flies, and he takes it all over the place. His opinion on the liberty...wasn't too shining. Thanks again!

Tell your friend that IMO the Cherokee is built like a soap-box racer compared to the KJ. Just compare the doors on the two vehicles. The XJ doors are like pie tins.

It flies cause its about 600 lbs lighter. I'd rather have the x-tra steel around me & my kids.