Adjusting tailgate "bumpstop"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tailgate has a slight rattle that has been increasing over time. There is a bumpstop just below the latch mechanism with a rubber pad that looks like it may be semi adjustable. The portion on the gate has two bolts and I'm thinking I could loosen these and adjust the bumpstop so it's closer to the body thus making a snugger fit with portion that is on the body. The portion on the body also has two bolts.... My service manual doesn't talk about these parts nor discusses adjusting them. Has anyone messed with them?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a rattle in my back area too and the dealer said he adjusted the pads back there to fix it and it did, but that was three years ago and it has now returned. So I think it can be done, but I don't have any idea how.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear Gate

Check page 23-118 of the FSM to see body gap specs for the rear gate area. Other than that, adjustment appears to left up to individual.