Additional key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 liberty and am having the same problem as you. I attempted to look at your video but couldn't get it to load.

I get the chime, but the indicator will illuminate, but never flash in step 3. Is that what happens to you?

Ray

Exactly.. I'll try convert the video from divx to wmv (windows media video), hopefully you can see my problem.

As for the correct key, I should have the right one. All the numbers on the back of the FOB match up, though I couldn't get to the step of programming it.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's strange, for sure. If all three keys have good batteries, and all the numbers on all three match, the instructions should work fine. Just for grins, try reversing the order in which you insert the two programmed keys. As we all know, goofy things sometime happen with computers.

ozone357

Reaction score
You can program a new key if you have 2 other keys, I have just done one and it works without any problems. I do have the overhead console. Not sure if that make a differents.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who has trouble d/l the original media, I've converted the videos to WMV format. That should be playable more most if not all computers

Media 1

Media 2

As for keys, I have both original keys from the dealer and I also have an overhead. So I don't know what gives.. :( My local hardware shop where I got my key cut offered to program the key for me at a price. Though I don't want to spend an additional $50.

mster

Reaction score
Okay was able to check out your video.

Same thing for me.

I have tried reversing both original keys as well and get same thing.

The light never flashes.

I guess either we're both missing the same thing, or they changed something for 2007?

Ray

mster

Reaction score
While I was sitting in the Jeep, trying to decide what to do next, I figured I would go ahead and program the buttons. It says if you have the EVIC which we both have, there is a selection for prgramming the keys. I went though the sequence and there is no selection to program the keys! I then tried to program them using the alternative method, and that didn't work either.

Something is definitely different with the '07's.

Ray

07Latitude

Reaction score
I bought a regular Sentry key (w/out fob) for my 07 latitude. I couldn't figure out where the SKIS light was (didn't read the manual first :lol:) so I just ballparked the times for each step. My key programmed fine. I guarantee you though the little red light on the bottom left (SKIS light) never did flash. I was waiting for stuff to flash and go on and off like the manual says to no avail.

However, the key works great though. I tried it prior to programming and it ran the jeep 3 seconds before shutting the fuel off. So, I know that it did program correctly.

Hope this helps.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the light doesn't flash...it has not FLASHED on any Chrysler vehicle I have ever programmed a spare key into, but that does not mean it is not working. So they say flash, maybe they just mean it will illuminate and then go out. The procedure is the same for every Chrysler vehicle, so it doesn't have to happen exactly as you see it in the book. Just put the spare in there and program the thing. You know it is in program mode considering the SKIS liht came back on in the first place and beeped at you. And my EVIC does have the key programming function, but I did not use it to add keys.

07Latitude

Reaction score
So the light doesn't flash...it has not FLASHED on any Chrysler vehicle I have ever programmed a spare key into, but that does not mean it is not working. So they say flash, maybe they just mean it will illuminate and then go out. The procedure is the same for every Chrysler vehicle, so it doesn't have to happen exactly as you see it in the book. Just put the spare in there and program the thing. You know it is in program mode considering the SKIS liht came back on in the first place and beeped at you. And my EVIC does have the key programming function, but I did not use it to add keys.

My 03 Grand Cherokee light worked exactly as the manual said (same procedure). The light flashed. I assumed it would flash on the Libby as well, thus why I personally was expecting the flashing.

But like I said, try it just by the timings they state in the manual (or online or wherever). It worked perfect for me that way.

Heck, your key may be programmed now anyways with all the attempts to. Lol. Try firing your jeep up and see what happens.

mster

Reaction score
Thank you for the additional info, I will give it a try and let you know.

-Ray

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went and checked and the light does not blink on my Liberty when I add another key in, but it still works. On my Charger, it does blink, so it is really model specific whether the thing blinks or not, because those instructions are the same for every model Chrysler.

mster

Reaction score
still doesnt work

No luck.

This is what I did:

Put first original key in ignition, turn to "on" position.
Waited 5 seconds. (SKIS light came on for about 3 sec and then went out)
Turn ignition to "off" position and removed first original key.

Put second original key in ignition, turn to "on" position. (SKIS light came on for about 3 sec then went out.)
Waited 10 seconds, at which time the SKIS light came back on, with the chime.
Immediately turned ignition to "off" position and removed second original key.

Put new key in ignition, turned to "on" position.
SKIS Light came on, then went out after about 3 seconds. About a second or two later, it came back on, but never went out.

I tried this several times, leaving about 1 - 2 minutes of time in between attempts to all system to reset.

On my last attempt, I left the new key in the ignition for over a minute, and the light never went out.

This process really isn't that complicated, but it just doesn't seem to work. I would hate to have to go to dealer over this, as that's what I'm trying to avoid by adding the key now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for anything you may offer.

Ray

07Latitude

Reaction score
No luck.

This is what I did:

Put second original key in ignition, turn to "on" position. (SKIS light came on for about 3 sec then went out.)

SKIS Light came on, then went out after about 3 seconds. About a second or two later, it came back on, but never went out.

I tried this several times, leaving about 1 - 2 minutes of time in between attempts to all system to reset.

On my last attempt, I left the new key in the ignition for over a minute, and the light never went out.

This process really isn't that complicated, but it just doesn't seem to work. I would hate to have to go to dealer over this, as that's what I'm trying to avoid by adding the key now.

Any suggestions?

Ray

I threw out my directions w/the key, but I checked first and they matched the manual's instructions. Like I said, I didn't know where the SKIS light was so I just ballparked times and mine worked great.

Did you actually try starting the jeep with the new key yet?

mster

Reaction score
yes, I tried starting the Jeep. It runs for one or two seconds and then stalls out. The SKIS light comes on as well.

-Ray

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way or the other, you've got to have an incorrect key which you're trying to program. You're following the instructions correctly, and the vehicle is giving you the right feedback. It has to be something about that new key.

07Latitude

Reaction score
Did you get the key with integrated fob? Got a pic? There are a few versions of that fob that look similar. Post one up and I'll see if I see anything out of the ordinary.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hello all,

Soooo.... Here's a question!

When the battery inside the key fob finally dies, and you replace it with a fresh battery, does the key fob have to be reprogrammed as well? of does it have a memory built in to the unit.
And no, I have not read my owners manual! It's more enjoyable using this forum!:D

Ry'

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck.

This is what I did:

Any suggestions?

Ray

Well exactly, you did not do it right. You have to START the car with the third key. No wonder it is not working.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me clarify, when you put the third key in, AS PART OF THE PROGRAMMING SEQUENCE, turn to the ignition position, not on. Leave it running until the SKIS chime goes out, and you are done. My spare is only to protect my ability to program more keys in should I lose one of the original 2, as you have to have 2 keys already programmed into the WCM, not the first 2 keys that came with the car. I bought a cheapo STRATTEC (Chrysler's OEM supplier of keys) gray headed blank for $6, cut it for free, programmed it myself, and it is in the fire safe. If I ever lose one of my originals with the integrated Fob, I will buy the blank for $40 and make it, but until then, why waste $30+ on a spare that will probably never be used. And no, I can't use any of the three keys because my vehicles are Lo/Jacked with the mercury switch that detects movement. I only have 2 Lo/Jack transponder fobs so using that third key would set off the Lo/Jack when it did not detect the fob.

mster

Reaction score
Did you get the key with integrated fob? Got a pic? There are a few versions of that fob that look similar. Post one up and I'll see if I see anything out of the ordinary.

I will take a pic but the new fob looks identical to the original ones - the numbers on the back of the fob under the Jeep logo are exactly the same as well.

-Ray

Members online

No members online now.