Adding 2 1/2 inch spacer lift, biggest tire avalible w/o rubbing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianBurdine97

Reaction score
I am planning on installing a 2 1/2 leveling kit lift (spacer lift what ever you call it) and I am wondering what is the biggest tire I can add to my stock 16 inch rims that wont have any rubbing. Thank you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am planning on installing a 2 1/2 leveling kit lift (spacer lift what ever you call it) and I am wondering what is the biggest tire I can add to my stock 16 inch rims that wont have any rubbing. Thank you.

All depends
First we don't know year , miles etc.
Why is that important ?
Well its well known that the springs on KJs are a weak link, they sag quickly
I've seen them with 75,000 miles and sagged almost 2 inches. So if yours are that way you'd only gain 1/2 inch and still only be running a 245-70-16 , one size up from stock.
Second is what type of tire you want to run, depending on tread design etc it makes a difference in how much or ho little rubbing you will have .
But assuming you have one that has only sagged an inch say ( middle of wheel to bottom of the flare would be 18 inches ) you may squeeze on a 245-75-16 , there would be rubbing more than likely though
So first measure middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front,
then we'll see where you are and also why going with that type of spacer is throwing your $$$$$ away

BrianBurdine97

Reaction score
Well to start out I have 130k miles on on 2004 jeep liberty limited so far. I was unaware that the springs sag so easily. I just want some nice bigger all season tires. I want to put the 2.5 inch spacer in because its a cheap way to lift my jeep instead of buying a lift kit. Figured Id spend $150-200 and lift it for cheap. These are the spacers I plan to get: Daystar® - ComfortRide™ Lift Kit

BrianBurdine97

Reaction score
I think after my research I concluded I could lift it 2.5 inches and add a 235/75/16 tire assuming that the springs have not already sagged at all. Which I think is un-realistic.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you sit measuring from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare ?
Like I said with 75,000 miles I've seen that measurement at just over 17 inches

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are at 17 then adding 2.5 inch of spacer lift will only get you 1/2 inch above new stock height.
So if you do it that way you're only looking at 245-70-16s which is one above stock size.
Your whole suspension needs upgraded ( springs and shocks )

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
OP,I know you do not believe the Rev.,though he is telling the straight of it. Check through the 1000+ threads on this very subject. Many have used the spacers just to swap out to springs and shocks shortly afterward. Save some time,spend your money once,do it right.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what tomm is trying to say is that a stock kj (with zero spring sag) measures about 19 inches from the hub to the fender flare. If you're measuring 17 inches, that means your springs have sagged about 2 inches (NOT good). Adding a 2.5 inch spacer lift will give you a hub to flare measurement of around 19.5, which is basically stock height. Anything larger than a 245/70R16 will rub (that size might rub anyway, slightly). Since your springs are already sagged considerably, I hate to speculate what a spacer kit would do to your suspension...

The bad thing about spacer kits, basically, is that they alter your suspension loading and causes your springs to fail (sag). Upgrading to a real lift kit (one with new springs) will replace this weak link, and give you a true 2.5" lift OVER STOCK HEIGHT, which will allow you to run larger tires.

sorry to be redundant, but sometimes guys new to KJ's dont seem to get the concept...