Add fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come up with a thought. Light comes on in dash when switch is pulled, therefore the wire has power. So get a test light and figure out which wire gives that signal and from that wire to the positive side to the lights and ground to ground. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory wiring uses the body control module to switch the fog lamps on/off. The factory relay is on the inside of the junction box (fuse panel) under the cover on the drivers end of the dash. There are also 2 spare relays in that panel.

The way it's designed to work is that you have the vehicle running, Turn on the headlights and select the fog lamps on with the fog switch. This tells the BCM to turn on the lights and the fog lamps. If the headlights are on low beam the fogs will be turned on by the BCM through the fog lamp relay. If you select high beam the fogs turn off. Without the BCM in the chain the lamps will not stay on or switch off with the high beams.

Power comes from fuse 9 under the hood, into the junction box and fuse 19, comes out of fuse 19 to the relays power feeds. The relay gets turned on/off on the ground side by the BCM. When on power comes out of the distribution center on pin 33 of connector C3 through a light blue wire. That feeds down to a splice to feed the two lamps.
(Fuse 19 also feeds the trailer brake light relay in the back if you have the tow package)

The multi-function switch only tells the BCM that you want the fog lamps on. And unless the BCM is the upscale one you need to program it to turn them on as well.

If I was adding fogs to a Libby that didn't have them. I wouldn't use any of the OEM interior pieces. I would add a relay under the hood, a switch on the dash and have the power to the relay switched with the low beam headlight.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory wiring uses the body control module to switch the fog lamps on/off. The factory relay is on the inside of the junction box (fuse panel) under the cover on the drivers end of the dash. There are also 2 spare relays in that panel.

The way it's designed to work is that you have the vehicle running, Turn on the headlights and select the fog lamps on with the fog switch. This tells the BCM to turn on the lights and the fog lamps. If the headlights are on low beam the fogs will be turned on by the BCM through the fog lamp relay. If you select high beam the fogs turn off. Without the BCM in the chain the lamps will not stay on or switch off with the high beams.

Power comes from fuse 9 under the hood, into the junction box and fuse 19, comes out of fuse 19 to the relays power feeds. The relay gets turned on/off on the ground side by the BCM. When on power comes out of the distribution center on pin 33 of connector C3 through a light blue wire. That feeds down to a splice to feed the two lamps.
(Fuse 19 also feeds the trailer brake light relay in the back if you have the tow package)

The multi-function switch only tells the BCM that you want the fog lamps on. And unless the BCM is the upscale one you need to program it to turn them on as well.

If I was adding fogs to a Libby that didn't have them. I wouldn't use any of the OEM interior pieces. I would add a relay under the hood, a switch on the dash and have the power to the relay switched with the low beam headlight.

This is so confusing, I don't get it. This is what I understand right now, please finish for me. Run a wire through the firewall from the light blue wire on the MFS connector..then what?

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MFS won't work on it's own to turn the fog lights on. It's not designed to carry any load. This is the power side of the lights. The MFS connects to this through the BCM. There is no direct connection.

Attachments

• fog power.jpg
    fog power.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MFS won't work on it's own to turn the fog lights on. It's not designed to carry any load. This is the power side of the lights. The MFS connects to this through the BCM. There is no direct connection.

I'm gonna throw in the towel and say I'm not good at wiring diagrams. Right now I just got the fog lights in. All grounds are grounded. I have the solid light blue wire from the fog lights now where does that go to

UPDATE: I already have a switch installed for daytime LEDS, just using that because it has an inline fuse that I added. I'm not going to worry about using that factory switch

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you describe what you've done in detail with the wiring, we can try to help you the rest of the way.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blue wire from the fog lamps connects to terminal 33 on connector C3 on the junction block (that is the fancy name for the fuse panel located in the end of the dash panel) BUT before you go through that. Take a look at the front lamp wiring harness connector (C 107 on the picture) tucked behind the headlight. That blue wire should already be there and you can easily splice it and eliminate some headaches.

Now inside, remove the "junction block" and tilt it so you can reach the back side. There will be two spare relays located next to an empty spot for the fog lamps. Put one of the spares into the open spot. (This is the green outlined box on picture)

Now look at the front side and find fuse spot 19. (purple outline) Plug a 20 amp fuse in and IF you have the rest wired OK you should have fog lamps when you turn the lights to low beam, and they should go off when you switch to high. The rest of the wiring is already done (they include the wires in the harness so they only stock one harness instead of one to go with each option package)

Clear as mud?

Attachments

• fog edit.jpg
    fog edit.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 16

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you describe what you've done in detail with the wiring, we can try to help you the rest of the way.

So far I have a wire ran through the firewall. And from there I have the fog lights grounded to the frame. I'm removing my LED day time lamps because they suck so I'm using the existing wiring. The switch method did not work. Led on switch turns on but I think there's too much resistance for the fog lights to turn on. I'm going to call it a night and zip tie all my wires in place for now.

Correction. This is what I have done:

Only one wire ran through firewall, not connected to anything. Fog lights are ground to frame, that's it. I don't have the factory fog light switch in yet because I'm lost.

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blue wire from the fog lamps connects to terminal 33 on connector C3 on the junction block (that is the fancy name for the fuse panel located in the end of the dash panel) BUT before you go through that. Take a look at the front lamp wiring harness connector (C 107 on the picture) tucked behind the headlight. That blue wire should already be there and you can easily splice it and eliminate some headaches.

Now inside, remove the "junction block" and tilt it so you can reach the back side. There will be two spare relays located next to an empty spot for the fog lamps. Put one of the spares into the open spot. (This is the green outlined box on picture)

Now look at the front side and find fuse spot 19. (purple outline) Plug a 20 amp fuse in and IF you have the rest wired OK you should have fog lamps when you turn the lights to low beam, and they should go off when you switch to high. The rest of the wiring is already done (they include the wires in the harness so they only stock one harness instead of one to go with each option package)

Clear as mud?

Looks like you posted this when I replied, didn't see it. So far here's what I know. Behind the grill there's a connector. It has a blue wire and from the MFS connector, there is also a blue wire. I think I'm just confused and my brain is trying to kill me

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay.
If i can manage to stay awake tonight I'll try to look at the how to thread and make a guide according to the FSM.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay.
If i can manage to stay awake tonight I'll try to look at the how to thread and make a guide according to the FSM.

Just looked behind the light, no blue wire. Factory Fog light switch is in and light on dash comes on

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Headlight connector behind grill and junction box. That's what I have. No blue wire on connector neither behind headlight

Is this the connector you're referring to? This has a blue wire. This is underneath the headlight and goes to the connector I showed before.

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This one has a blue wire. But this one does not

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue wire spliced into headlight connector. Fuse In spot #19 already. But where is this relau

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might help to ID the connector if you can post how many pins are in it

7 pins, but has the blue wire. Body side has the blue wire until this connector

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it you're trying to do all of this without the mopar kit?

Yea no molar kit. If looking at the back of the junction box, I can't seem to get it removed. Where are the spares of I'm looking directly at it and which one goes to the fog lights