AC Vents break?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone had trouble with their AC vents breaking? Got into the KJ a few weeks ago...it was hot out, so i turned on the AC. ADjusted the vents, all was well. Stopped somewhere...got in a few hours later, went to adjust vents again, and two of my vents were suddenly broke. I mean...it's not like i tried ot turn them and they snapped/broke...they were alreayd loose and couldn't be adjusted!

Then a week later a third one did the same thing. Now i have one functional vent. What gives...the thing only has 15k miles and is barely over a year old...and three of the four vents already broke?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Looks like a trip to the dealer for a warranty repair is in your future.

Probably just a fluke.....they're plastic, plastic doesn't like extreme temperature change, and there's also the possibility that something happened when those vents were manufactured.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If the dealer doesn't like this issue... finding a Liberty or Dodge Viper to snatch them from shouldn't be too much of a hassle. :p lol3.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the dealer doesn't like this issue... finding a Liberty or Dodge Viper to snatch them from shouldn't be too much of a hassle. :p lol3.gif

Marlon...........he's on his way to Michigan now.....What color did you say yours was??? hahaha

Dave

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine broke as well, actually it was the two center vents, Im just going to order some new ones today

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is it with Jeeps and A/C vents?

My KJ is too new and hasn't been through the hot Arizona summers yet, so mine are still okay. I've been through several sets on the TJ. I had them replaced under warranty once and had to buy a couple of sets since then. They were not all that expensive... maybe $10 - $12 or so.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah, the first summer and winter they were fine. When adjusting them they were real firm etc. Then after two days this year of 96 degree temps that's when the two centers first broke.

It's definitely the heat+cooling cycles that did it...but still. All my GM vehicles i've had (notorious for crappy interior quality and plastics) had perfectly functioning AC vents even once they were 12 years old and had spent their entire life in the hot arizona sun. Just seems ridiculous..i expected at least 4-5 years out of these...and the fact that 2 broke the same day (at the same time no less) and a third a week later had me going :eek:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, mine is an '03 with 70K+ on the clock, all the vents still work fine. Maybe it's the newer plastics they use? :p

Of course, now I've jinxed myself and they'll all break within the next three days...

dnm45227

Reaction score
our '02 had one pop loose. i swaped out the drivers side for the broke middle on. i was hacked off too.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are just fine. 3yrs old this past January.

We also have a 94 Jeep and the vents are ok in it(Different vents, but still good).