AC Coldness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im back with another question. I have noticed my AC is not as cold as it used to be and was wondering what ideas you may have? A guy I know was going to put freon in, but when he hooked up the can it showed I was at full pressure. It seems to get fairly cold if driving, but sitting still it is warmer than I would like. Any ideas on this?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ambient temp and humidity play a major role in AC output temps.A typical 30-40 degrees drop means your AC is working very good.

If it's 90 degrees outside and 75% humidity the output temps will only be about 60 degrees out of the vents.

Airflow is another major factor,no air moving over the condenser(or low flow like just the fan turning sitting at a stop light) will not let the system word at peak efficiency.So it is normal to have colder temps when your driving 40mph+.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick a cooking thermometor down the vent and run your AC. That way you can get a more objective temp than "it feels kind of warmer".

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
tjkj is right. If you ONLY do city driving you're not going to get that big of a temperature difference. But even if it's 90ºF outside and you're on the highway doing 70MPH, you're likely to freeze!

Midgear

Reaction score
are you running the A/C where it's recirculating the air in the cabin? Or just pulling in air from outside?

If you set it to recirculate (the first setting on the middle knob, shows a picture of a vehicle with an arrow inside it) then it will take the air inside the cabin and recirculate it- but it only blows from the dash vents.

on 4 and recirculate, if the vents are pointed at me, it gets uncomfortably cold lol

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
also, don't run Recirculate for TOO long. Windows start fogging up depending on weather conditions. That sort of defeats the purpose of air conditioning.

Midgear

Reaction score
during the daytime, that shouldn't be a problem, I seem to experiance that most during the evening hours... I've been driving down the highway and go over a bridge over a small river, and my glass being cold, that moisture ***** my windows.. they instantly fogged up and I couldnt see shit!. good thing my washer fluid was fairly warm or that little experiance coulda been ugly.

Latest posts

Members online