Ac clutch fuse keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
We got the ac clutch to work my jumping the relay and then discovered the ac clutch fuse was blown, we out a new one in and the ac clutch was running but not cycling on and off like it was before. Well drove it for about 20 miles to the next town and was sitting at a red light and the ac stopped blowing cold again, pulled into a parking lot checked the fuse and it was blown again. What is causing this???

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the ac clutch to work my jumping the relay and then discovered the ac clutch fuse was blown, we out a new one in and the ac clutch was running but not cycling on and off like it was before. Well drove it for about 20 miles to the next town and was sitting at a red light and the ac stopped blowing cold again, pulled into a parking lot checked the fuse and it was blown again. What is causing this???

I presume that you removed the jumper inside the AC relay, put the relay back in place and replaced the fuse before driving off and the fuse blew again?
If you run with the AC Relay jumpered out permanently then the AC will not cycle but will run all the time and the compressor/clutch could overheat and become damaged if the refrigerant is low...the Relay only energizes if the Low Pressure Refrigerant Sensor is happy that there is enough refrigerant in the system.

Check the single lead coming from the AC Relay to the AC clutch is not fraying to the engine somewhere...this carries the +12 volts from the relay to the clutch...if it frays onto the engine it will blow the fuse.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
No we removed the jump and it blew another fuse but no burning smell. Put a new fuse in and it hasn't blown again. I can hear the clutch cycling when I am driving a higher speed but not at idle. I don't understand. When it is in park the clutch does not cycle on and off. Do I need more refrigerant? And my truck and my hubby's truck the ac clutch don't cycle on and off is it a jeep thing?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are there two threads on this?

Sassy, I think at this point I'm with the others here... I'd be curious to know the line pressures and refridgerant level in there.

Some AC clutches do not cycle on at idle... too much engine load as determined by the engineers.. May or may not be correct, but I've seen that designed like that before. So comparing to other vehicles is hit or miss at best.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
Why are there two threads on this?

Sassy, I think at this point I'm with the others here... I'd be curious to know the line pressures and refridgerant level in there.

Some AC clutches do not cycle on at idle... too much engine load as determined by the engineers.. May or may not be correct, but I've seen that designed like that before. So comparing to other vehicles is hit or miss at best.

My ac clutch is on at idle if my ac is on, if ac is off clutch is off. The ac still blows cold air. I think if it was low on refrigerant it wouldn't blow cold? I might be over reacting about the whole thing and my jeep maybe fine.