Ac air volume recirculation vs fresh air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajonesy64

Reaction score
Ok, as strange as it sounds it seems like the amount of air when in recirculation mode is less than it has been in the past. It is definitely less than when in fresh air mode. I would say 3/4ths less. The temp is fine, just seems like a loss of air. My first thought was something caught in the duct under passenger side dash. But, I can't see anything and can't feel anything although I can't get my hand very far up in the there. My question is, has anyone had experience like this? Should recirculation have less air volume than fresh air mode? Are there any mechanical things to look for? Again, temperature is normal, cold so I can't imagine a blend door issue. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to clean the intake screen behind the glove box under the dash.

Ajonesy64

Reaction score
Of course, it'd probably help if I ga e I do on my Liberty, it's a 2005 Sport, 3.7 liter.

I didn't see a screen. On the passenger side of the center console, I see just a rectangular opening which I assumed was the air inlet but maybe I'm mistaken?

Ajonesy64

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm officially a dumbazz this evening. What I thought was the air inlet is the heater vent for the floorboard. Thats embarrassing :) Where exactly would I fibd this screen?

Ajonesy64

Reaction score
Alright, dropped the glove box door, looked up in there and found a screen completely blocked. Cleaned, lots of air blowing now. This concludes my embarrassing adventure for the day :)

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might help to open glove box unclip the sides slide it to the right move it down and remove it the screen is back there on the right. It is kinda hard to see and get to.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this in the same place on an '07? I looked (briefly) last summer and couldn't spot it. (I was actually in there for something else and only gave it a minute's glance.)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about clogged screens got me curious. So I just ran outside and checked mine. Sure enough, it was as clean as a whistle!! lol.... Oh well, at least I'll sleep better tonight, maybe. ;)

dljacko

Reaction score
Just an aside from this discussion. The road safety bureau here in Aus. has found that unexplained road fatalities where there was no logical cause, required further investigation and they found in many of the cases there was a high Co2 reading in the blood of victims. In a couple of cases they were able to see what the A/C settings were and found that they were set on recirculate. The reason you get so tired after a long trip in hot weather is most likely because you are slowly being overcome by Co2. I now try to keep the A/C on fresh whenever on a long trip now.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about clogged screens got me curious. So I just ran outside and checked mine. Sure enough, it was as clean as a whistle!! lol.... Oh well, at least I'll sleep better tonight, maybe. ;)

Just because your recirc screen is clear doesn't mean those night zombies aren't still out to get you. Sleep tight!:icon_lol: