ABS Light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was on my way to work this morning, and my ABS light came on. Nothing else happened o changed, but does anyone have any idea why? Its an 03 Limited if that matters. Thanks in advance!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a code reader to determine the problem and the trouble code. Then go from there. Bring it to auto zone, napa, advanced, pep boys and they all check the codes for free.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly even if Autozone or Pep Boys could pull the code with their little toy scanners, it's highly recommended that you still don't go there.

Most of the employee's are so clueless about vehicles they probably still couldn't read the codes correctly to give you what was going on. Somehow you'd walk out of there with blinker fluid and exhaust bearings.

:icon_lol::gr_grin:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to do any work to the fluid part of the system? Caliper replacement, or bleeding? If any kind of air got in there the ABS pump has to be bled, and the way to do it right is with the dealer computer. Alternatively, one of your sensors might be AFU. The code will help. If yuo were in MD I'd tell you to bring it by and I'd throw the DRBIII on it.

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the key trick? I forgot about it, I did it a few times when I had my old WJ.. can't remember how to do it though.

And no, I haven't screwed with anything in the brakes or wheels or anything. It just randomly came on when I was driving to work this morning.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the key trick work for ABS codes?

Shoey, if you haven't heard about it, turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, but without starting the engine. Leave it on after the third ON and it will display the codes followed by "done". Should work on yours, works on my 2003 Ltd, but it won't work on the later models.

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Went to lunch, light is on. Finished eating, headed back to work, light is off.

What.

Edit- Thanks, Magnate!

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ABS light comes on when it goes for an emissions test. Must be something to do with the back wheels turning and the fronts stationary. Did you spin the wheels at all or loose grip when braking?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just do the key trick? Is that not reliable?
Only shows generic "P" codes.ABS codes start with a "C".

My ABS light comes on when it goes for an emissions test. Must be something to do with the back wheels turning and the fronts stationary. Did you spin the wheels at all or loose grip when braking?
Exactly why the light comes on,the ABS is sensing a massive wheel speed difference from front to rear.Should clear itself when normal driving is done,ussually less then 50' is required.