ABS/ESP with Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about thelocker unloading.. driving it does it.. straight, in turns, etc etc.. but wheni but up against a curb and give it gas it doesnt unload.. hmm.. mighthave to measure some stuff to make sure i didnt bend myself out of alignment.

so when you turn on the street it "unloads" or unlocks
when you put your front wheels on a curb and gas it then it locks?
or better yet tie your self to a tree and see if both rear wheels spin at any speed
if they both spin but it unlocks on the street then that is
about as good as it gets with an aussie

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
It was unloading while climbing rocks..

ESP uses ABS valves and pump to work. both systems apply brakes to work. ESP adds a fuel cutoff to function also..

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I understand,the locker unlocks in turns,but remains locked when in a bind.And this means it is junk? All this time I thought that was how they where supposed to work,glad you all sorted this out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I understand,the locker unlocks in turns,but remains locked when in a bind.And this means it is junk? All this time I thought that was how they where supposed to work,glad you all sorted this out.
Auto lockers should only lock when torque is applied to the carrier,should "unlock" when not recieving torque.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I think not
he said that I had it "reversed"
That simply would not work
as I said
Breaks are applied by TC when wheels spin
Breaks are controlled by ABS
Thus ABS is controlled by TC
not "reversed"

if it were reversed then like I said
I would need to spin the tires for the ABS to work
and slam on the breaks for TC to work

This is what I was commenting on:

ABS is controlled by traction control

ABS IS NOT CONTROLLED BY TRACTION CONTROL. Traction CONTROL USES THE ABS SYSTEM TO WORK. Plain and simple. That is what I said. That is ALL I said.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
In one context it is,in another context it is not.2 systems that use the same components to effect another component(your hydrualic brake system) but controlled by 2 different computers.

In the way the technology currently works, one would not be possible without the other.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
right now i take off from a stop in a straight line.. can be any ammount of throttle and somewhat random.. and theree is a pop that sounds liek the locker unloading and the rear end shifts to the left and a loss of torq/power

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS IS NOT CONTROLLED BY TRACTION CONTROL. Traction CONTROL USES THE ABS SYSTEM TO WORK. Plain and simple. That is what I said. That is ALL I said.

Yes welcome to a world where when you "use" some "thing" to preform a function you control it
The definition of control is
"The ability to manage a machine or other moving object"

now just a brake system can not work with out a "pump"
the ABS system has a pump to control

so when you start to spin your wheels
the traction control system sees this and manages the ABS system by telling it to pump the breaks to stop the spin so by definition it is in control
when you slam on your breaks to avoid hitting some one ABS manages the breaks to stop you from skidding

good lord how hard is this?

yodejt02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us that can't afford an ARB, AND don't see the need for one cause we only wheel a few times a year, the powertrax is a good locker to choose. I and many others that have frequented this forum have had no problems with that locker. Yes, when installed on mine it did disable the abs, trac controll/ESP, but I didnt care. I love this elitis view that if you dont have an ARB than its crap.

Geeky...... to me it sounds as if there is somthing wrong with your locker and you may have a sensor issue else where. Correct me if I am wrong but the speedo is controlled by the senors in the front wheels AND the sensor in the rear diff. So, could there be an issue with your front sensors working correctly since the rear sensor is essenitally deleted. I never had this problem on my 06 with the speedo after I had my powertrax installed......I can take a look at it Saturday

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
the locker comes out monday. and were gona go from there. the idea of a sensor being out is at the top of my list but i cant be for sure til what started this is gone ( the locker).

How do you diagnose if a speed sensor is dead?
Where are the speed sensors located? meaning where into the rear diff does the speed sensor go?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I am sure glad I am not an "elitis"
My view is based on my experience
Now I say this
If you want a selectable locker get an ARB
If you want an automatic locker get a Detroit
Both of which I have installed right now

Now when you look at the cost the Detroit is the best deal
or was at the time
Power trax was $125 less so for $325 more I got the best
installed ,locker + install

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speed sensor on the rear diff is right on top. Maybe you just yanked the plug out when you were wheeling, easy to do IMO. I was thinking of lengthening the wire honestly on mine.

The front sensors on yours are in the hubs I think. I don't have those so not sure. :happy107:

Detroit TT would be nice.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speed sensor on the rear diff is right on top. Maybe you just yanked the plug out when you were wheeling, easy to do IMO. I was thinking of lengthening the wire honestly on mine.

The front sensors on yours are in the hubs I think. I don't have those so not sure. :happy107:

Detroit TT would be nice.

TT VS Soft Locker
Apples and oranges
Knife to a gun fight
I had 1 in the YJ they work great in the front but far from a locker