ABS/ESP with Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I need to disable my ABS its conflicting with the locker. Kind of surprised it took 2 days but now the lights go on and the brakes lock up. So, time to pull the fuse.
Is it the pump or the valve fuse i want to pull?

yodejt02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM'd I think I pulled both.....but not sure. I tell you what it freaked me out when I climbed in the jeep after the locker install, took off and the lights turned on, thought the jeep crapped itself. Its part of the wonder of owning an 05/06 and installing a lunchbox locker. Don't get me wrong for the little bit of wheeling I did the luchbox was the way to go for me. I never had any probs. with ratcheting noise or whatever most people complain of. Just had the lights, that was fixed by some vaccume plugs over the LEDs

Does anyone know if the ARB's will set the light off, I dont think they would but thats where we need TJKJ.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to disable my ABS its conflicting with the locker. Kind of surprised it took 2 days but now the lights go on and the brakes lock up. So, time to pull the fuse.
Is it the pump or the valve fuse i want to pull?
What locker? If it's a lunchbox style pull locker and install real locker and your issues will go away.All sorts of legal issues if you disable your ABS and you get in a bad accident,not to mention your committing fraud since your most likely getting a discount from your insurance for ABS.

And no the ARB locker will not effect ABS or ESP.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
well the jeep has totally freaked out over this locker. pulled the abs pump fuse. but the spedo now either shows 2x acutal speed or 0 mph..

LOcker is coming out asap.

not everyone can afford an arb.. however now im probably going to spend as much reparing the jeep.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the jeep has totally freaked out over this locker. pulled the abs pump fuse. but the spedo now either shows 2x acutal speed or 0 mph..

LOcker is coming out asap.

not everyone can afford an arb.. however now im probably going to spend as much reparing the jeep.

Just my .02
you have another issue
the locker should have no bearing on the speed-o
I have been running the auto locker in my TJ for a few years
Yes they are different animals but knowing how the locker functions
it may have some effect on the ABS off road where the tires can slip
but on road you should be fine
and I thought that in 4wd low the ABS was turned off

Now I do know that the power craps is not nearly as smooth as the Detroit
and neither are "invisible" Like an ARB
I do know that with any thing you get what you pay for

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has traction control too. and the traction control gets pretty numb but is still there when in 4 lo. I think it is the traction control freaking out or maybe the combination as ABS is part of the traction control. Maybe not ABS but it will apply brake to wheels spinning. I don't think ABS ever turns off.

Geeky, do you think maybe your tires are different enough in diameter right to left in the rear that it may be causing this? Just a thought. Maybe that has no ill effect. :shrug:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
im not sure. in the past ive had my esp/bas .. car witth squiggly lines, and abs lights all com on but only whenits real cold....

the spedo and related issues are totally new.

But after a day of wheeling the locker isnt working correctly anyway. all i know to do right now is take out the locker and see where i sit and hope i didnt nuke my ECU somehow.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has traction control too. and the traction control gets pretty numb but is still there when in 4 lo. I think it is the traction control freaking out or maybe the combination as ABS is part of the traction control. Maybe not ABS but it will apply brake to wheels spinning. I don't think ABS ever turns off.

Geeky, do you think maybe your tires are different enough in diameter right to left in the rear that it may be causing this? Just a thought. Maybe that has no ill effect. :shrug:

Yes he hast traction control
and yes it will apply the brakes when 1 wheel is turning faster than the other
however the locker will prevent that from happening
this is the reason for a locker ,prevent 1 wheel from spinning
however that is traction control not ABS
ABS is controlled by traction control

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have that reversed. Traction Control is controlled by the ABS (system).

Really?
So when I slam on the breaks in the rain the traction control kicks in
But when I spin my wheels the ABS kicks in

I will keep that in mind so when I need to stop quick
I can hit the gas and stop quickly

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Marlon wasn't saying that, just that traction control is a product of the ABS. He wasn't correcting what you said they do.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Really?
So when I slam on the breaks in the rain the traction control kicks in
But when I spin my wheels the ABS kicks in

I will keep that in mind so when I need to stop quick
I can hit the gas and stop quickly
:rolleyes:
Marlon wasn't saying that, just that traction control is a product of the ABS. He wasn't correcting what you said they do.
Thank you HJ, thank you very much.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
about thelocker unloading.. driving it does it.. straight, in turns, etc etc.. but wheni but up against a curb and give it gas it doesnt unload.. hmm.. mighthave to measure some stuff to make sure i didnt bend myself out of alignment.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think not
he said that I had it "reversed"
That simply would not work
as I said
Breaks are applied by TC when wheels spin
Breaks are controlled by ABS
Thus ABS is controlled by TC
not "reversed"

if it were reversed then like I said
I would need to spin the tires for the ABS to work
and slam on the breaks for TC to work