About to buy a Renegade..good price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some things have changed and it's time I get out of my current vehicle and into something that makes more sense. I've liked how the Renegades looked since I saw one when they first come out, and my wife has owned an 07 Liberty Limited for a few years now so I've had the chance to get to know them. I found this particular one on CL at a dealer just over an hour away, and had some time today to check it out. It seems to be a fully loaded Renegade including leather, overhead trip console, 6 CD changer/upgraded sound package, Selec-Trac transfer case, OEM rock rail and skid plates. The tires are in good shape and the brakes feel/look pretty good. It has just over 100k miles and the asking price is $11,400. It's a hard to find vehicle and in my price range, I really like it. This seems to be the going price, within about $1,000 of other model Liberty's in this area. It appears to have been well taken care of and has a K&N replacement intake. They won't budge on the price but are wanting to give me $10k for a trade on my 06 Durango SXT also with just over 100k miles and some minor body damage. Is this a fair price from what other members have seen or dealt with? Here are some pics for comparison...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I've probably already earned a reputation on here as a cheapo and a pessimist, I'd say ANY vehicle over 100K isn't worth more than $8K.

That looks like it says 2001 on the windshield....

I'd shop around.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That model pictured is 2004, it's the one I looked at today. I've only looking around for about a week. The majority of the Liberty's in the $8,000 price range are mainly 02's with over 130,000 miles and/or are the sport models, not quite what I'm looking for. There are quite a few 03's to 05's in the $9,000 to $12,000....varying miles and models of course. It's hard to find one in that price range with less than 85,000 miles.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey! I Recognize you from Dodgetalk! I'm CopperMtnGuy (the guy that had the silver 05 Limited, but got an LR3) there! Nice to see you here!

You'll love the KJ compared to the Durango.....ride even stock was always better, handles much better, and the visibility differences are night and day!

I'd go for it, not for their price (it's fair, but not a steal) but because they'd give you 10k on your Durango. I got 11k on mine last year, 79k, Hemi, Limited, pretty much everything except NAV and 4WD.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's me! I recognize your name, that's cool you saw and recognized me! It's not a steal by any means, your right. But I figure it's a fair price, and I don't think I could get $10k if I sold the Durango myself. It has some hail damage and a nice dent/hole in the tailgate from when I backed into my snowmobile trailer......long story but the tongue of the trailer pierced and dented my tailgate near the license plate, tearing a half moon shaped hole about 1/2" x 3".

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is way to high unless you dont mind taking a loss
We sold our KJ last year ,before gas hit $3.75 a gallon
dealer offered $7500
private sale netted us $8500
we had an '03 with 70K+ some miles
it was a LTD with no option left off
IMO you should be paying under $10K

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take it. As mentioned, the price is reasonable, and the fact that your trade will almost cover the Jeep price is where it comes together.

Around here KJs are pretty rare on car lots, and don't seem to stick around long. Don't remember the last time I saw a Rennie for sale.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Again....you won't get that money for the Durango anywhere else. I know from experience. :D

Where in MN are you?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Jason.

If the prices are higher in your area like you say it is probably due to everyone wanting 4x4 for the winters up there. You would know best as you have been looking. Check it out really good including getting it in the dirt to check out the 4wd.

Good luck.

Dave

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That price is just a touch high compared to solid Liberty's in this area.

Like Dave said the 4WD is what keeps the price up in northern areas. I checked prices for similar Libby's around here (year/options/mileage) and $11K is what they're going for. Those slightly under 100K miles and those slightly over - same price. And the one you're looking at is optioned out with a lot more than the vehicles around here (leather, EVIC, CD Changer, rock rails, etc.)

If that's an '04 with 100K then the mileage is dead-on. 7 years at 15,000 miles per year is 105K.

'Course that means it isn't a low-mileage vehicle per se...but it hasn't been driven more than average either.

Bob

Last edited:

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HJ, I'm about 45 miles west of Minneapolis. I did much more looking around today at many dealers websites in this area. This seems to be the going price for any Liberty, +/- 20k miles and many aren't as equipped or have what I want. If I were to spend $9k on a Sport by the time I upgraded it to what I wanted I'd be at another $2k anyway. Like you said Bob, it is optioned out much more than others in this price range with similar miles. What also makes a big difference is what I get on the trade, the whole point of me switching vehicles at this point is to lower what I pay monthly to drive. I think I've made up my mind and we'll see what happens tomorrow, I'll post what happens. If all goes well I'll be an official member of this site!

Last edited:

04 Silver Renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking Renegade...but as many others have said...The price seems a little steep...
I mean I have an '04 Renegade...And bought mine for a lil less than $9000 with 61,xxxx Miles....

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got a call from the dealer today and no deal. They can't seem to find a bank that is willing to loan me the money. One year of financial bad luck and it follows you forever! They told me I needed to have $5-$6000 cash down!! What a bummer. Thanks for all your input though, it will help me down the road when I try to find one again. I'm going to get one.....someday.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, that *****. Have you tried talking to the bank that you have the Durango loan through?

Good luck with whatever you decide. Let us know when you get your KJ

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I read here I know I can find one a few thousand less. I don't need a Renegade either...I can add stuff later that look and may even function better. I've been looking in other cities, up to 200 miles away and already found a couple I'd like to know more about. We like taking road trips anyhow! I'm now looking to spend about $9,000. My current vehicle has just over 100k miles so I don't mind getting in one with the similar mileage, I'm confident it will last. I just need to get into something with a much less monthly payment, the D is just too high and the bank won't work with me because I am just over halfway through my term. That and I really want a Liberty!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Try and find one at a repo lot.
Usually the bank only wants the amount money outstanding on the vehicles loan.
We bought ours from one (A lease return) and at the time the local Chrysler dealerships
and private sellers wanted between $3000.00 and $5500.00 more for an equally equipped
Sport!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
HJ, I'm about 45 miles west of Minneapolis. I did much more looking around today at many dealers websites in this area. This seems to be the going price for any Liberty, +/- 20k miles and many aren't as equipped or have what I want. If I were to spend $9k on a Sport by the time I upgraded it to what I wanted I'd be at another $2k anyway. Like you said Bob, it is optioned out much more than others in this price range with similar miles. What also makes a big difference is what I get on the trade, the whole point of me switching vehicles at this point is to lower what I pay monthly to drive. I think I've made up my mind and we'll see what happens tomorrow, I'll post what happens. If all goes well I'll be an official member of this site!

Cool...I'm about 2 hours east. KJ's are awesome up here, already got to try mine (spent all of it's life in FL with me) in the snow!

Sorry to seem like I'm hating on Durangos (I'm not, they do serve a purpose, and look great too) but the KJ is a much better vehicle.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's been awhile but here is an update. This week we thought we'd try to find a deal again to unload the Durango. My wife was looking at some cheaper SUV's that were FWD. I thought it was pointless and suggested to save more money we should just look at a car. We ended up trading in the Durango for a 2011 VW Jetta with 19 miles. It was a great deal because they were trying to unload last years models off the lot. I decided to give her the option for a new car and I'll take her Liberty! We both ended up winning in this situation...not only did we each get what we want but our overall savings in gas is going to be awesome. As usual I can't upload pictures (due to cell phone carrier) but it's just a run of the mill stock black Liberty Limited. It has the painted fenders and bumpers. It also has the Command-Trac transfer case...I had wanted the Selec-Trac for the part time option. Maybe someone can elaborate more on which is better (or I could just do a search), I just liked the AWD on the Durango. Either way I am pretty excited about my newly acquired Liberty....just wait until I have to hide the bills and receipts from what I want done!!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but it's just a run of the mill stock black Liberty Limited. It has the painted fenders and bumpers. It also has the Command-Trac transfer case...I had wanted the Selec-Trac for the part time option. Maybe someone can elaborate more on which is better (or I could just do a search), I just liked the AWD on the Durango. Either way I am pretty excited about my newly acquired Liberty....just wait until I have to hide the bills and receipts from what I want done!!

Congrats! That sounds like a true win/win for you and your wife.

As far as the Command-Trac vs Selec-Trac...Yeah, where you live the Selec-Trac can come in mighty handy as you can leave the 242 transfer case in Full Time all year round and it will be fine. Works well when you transition from wet streets to completely snow-covered and drifted side streets in winter. That said with the Command-Trac, when you get to the snowy streets just yank up the handle and drive - as long as you remember to put it back in 2WD while still moving as you pull in your garage. :freak3:

So put an OME/Bilstein lift on your Libby, get religion about changing the driveline fluids, check the rear CV on the prop shaft coming from the transfer case to the front diff - and DRIVE THE CRAP OUT OF IT!!! :party52:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice! I have an NP242 transfer case (with full time 4WD) with 15k on it, and I'd be willing to sell it for a low price!