A little confused on skid plate options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark,

The Fuel & T case are the same for all model from 02-07, the only one that is different is the gearbox skid. 05-07 won't fit an 02 it will need modifying to bolt it on proparly. We talking all Mopar skids here. Skid Row I can't tell you, I have now fitted an ASFIR for the Grearbox & T Case and it's a lot better.

Fil.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the front skid is different too. You want an actual 02 skid because the bolt holes changed in 05. Just one though, the back driverside bolt hole.

Again, nothing a modification won't handle.

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know tank sizes are different depending on the year. Like my wife's 02 KJ has a 18.5 gal tank and my 06 KJ has a 20.5 gal tank.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know tank sizes are different depending on the year. Like my wife's 02 KJ has a 18.5 gal tank and my 06 KJ has a 20.5 gal tank.
Tank size does not matter for any KJ gas tank skid be it OEM or Kilby.

You want a original '02 front skid if going OEM skids,only can buy used as the replacements are the newer styles,as they are about 1/16" thicker then the '04+ front skids.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an '05-'07 transmission skid on my '03 Renegade. Had to drill one hole for a nutzert on the driver's side front - just like Rocky Mountain said - to put it on. No big deal - maybe 15 minutes beginning to end. Just used the existing bolts for the other 3 corners.

I already had the front diff/engine, transfer case and fuel tank skids. Took them off & repainted so now they all look new and my Rene's belly is gleaming and covered. :smokin:

JustForJeeps.com
has the skids available (except for the engine skid for your '02 :disgust: ) but you can buy the rest if you need them. Good, cheap insurance IMO.

Bob