A common theme this time of year..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sd89gta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was in the furtherest left lane going north on the 405(out in CA) today when the car in front of me hit a huge puddle, splashed water all over the place, including my windsheild obstracting my vision. My blades kick the water off only for my to see him right in front of me swerving to the right. Hit me brakes but I tap him on the rear end.

I was thinking oh cr@p because it was me and my wife in the car and I thought he was going to knock me into another lane. Well, I tap him with my front right side, we both recover and pull over on the side of the road. We both get and look at the cars, so pissed his didn't have anything damaged on it by the way. I look at mine and my passenger side foglight(renegade) is hangin by a wire, my turn signal is destroyed and that fender needs to be replaced. I give him my info and ask for his, but he won't give it to me. His wife gets out saying its all my fault, whatever, but they won't give me their info. I look at their tires, completely bald, and I mean bald. I hit that puddle and the jeep didn't even shake, even when I slammed on the brakes.

I tell them I need their info, but they never did give it, but I did get their plates and did file a report. And you know what the officer says? Since I hit him, no matter what it was my fault. I tell him about the bald tires and the refusal to ive info, and he says it doesn't matter. Whatever. They're going to try to track them down and figure it out.

Ok, enough small talk, more shop talk. I need:

Front grille- 5jr27zzzae <---Part #
turn signal-Passenger side #55156766ae
passenger side fender- 5jg91cjmad
rene fog light- 55156923ae

Its a 05 Renegade.

Where is the cheapest places you uys have found these? Mopar parts america I know, but where else? Also what year can I steal parts from, just 05-06? I know the junkyard, so I'll hope I get lucky, going to try this weekend.

Post pics soon

Last edited:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know there are laws about maintaining your vehicle, keeping it safe to drive...etc....but i'm not sure what yours are in CA. you can probably find it online, or if you know someone that's in the legal profession, they may be able to help you...but at the very least, that driver should be partially at fault. technically, they should have been cited for failure to maintain control, while you could have been cited for assured clear distance, and that's not even including what the law has to state about the condition and road-worthiness of a vehicle.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since Ky is an at fault state Ive been dying to get me an ARB and just hit everyone that remotely pulls out infront of me or cuts over on me. Id get at least 1-2 cars a day. Someday Ill have the money and Ill get me an ARB and reduce the toyota population.

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Ontario far as I know, usually when you rear-end someone it's considered your fault and you could be charged with "following too closely" (4 demerit points)

On the other hand, we have another charge called "Failing to remain at the scene of a collision" which is considered more serious (7 demerit points)

Either way, sorry to hear you smacked up the Jeep!

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Pennsylvaina if you hit someone you are behind it is your fault automaticly. If they pull out in front of you you better make sure if you have an inpact with them it is at or before the front half of the car for it to be their fault. Hit too far to the rear of them it your fault you didn't have your car under control to stop in time.....Crazy stuff.

And I have been to Cali and drove around the Bay area, San Fran. up to Montery folks are laid back compaired to PA. They didn't seem to tail gate like here and they let you merge on the the freeway. Here at times you'd think it was a race and they don't want you on the track.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
In Ontario far as I know, usually when you rear-end someone it's considered your fault and you could be charged with "following too closely" (4 demerit points)

On the other hand, we have another charge called "Failing to remain at the scene of a collision" which is considered more serious (7 demerit points)

Either way, sorry to hear you smacked up the Jeep!

Yup .. even when you hit a concrete barrier 'cause of black ice .. it's yo fault :D

sd89gta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this too good to be true for the fender?

Click me

ok, shipping for it is like $68, so is it still worth it?

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket body parts are OK at best.... If you can find one in a yard i would go there first, or try www.car-part.com i use that fairly often to track down used parts if the yards close to me dont have them, if your really lucky you could find one of the same paint color and maybe avoid painting with a little buffing.

So your fender got dinged up but the fender flare and front bumper plastics are all ok?

Pics!

Also the other one i usually use for websites is www.chryslerpartsdirect.com and pretty much everyone here knows or uses it.

Reaction score
Since Ky is an at fault state Ive been dying to get me an ARB and just hit everyone that remotely pulls out infront of me or cuts over on me. Id get at least 1-2 cars a day. Someday Ill have the money and Ill get me an ARB and reduce the toyota population.

great answer. i want to get a Jeep Jeepster ARB fund going.

sd89gta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, got at least one photo up, its still raining outside.

You must be registered for see images attach

For the renegade fog light, the lens is fine, but the housing was destroyed. Does it come as a unit or can you buy piece by piece?

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the best question is:

why didn't you call the police right then and there?
Usually people don't want to swap info because they don't have any info... as in insurance, registration etc... The car could have been stollen, they'll never find the actual person

so on and so forth.

People, call the police if you are in an accident.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, got at least one photo up, its still raining outside.

You must be registered for see images attach

For the renegade fog light, the lens is fine, but the housing was destroyed. Does it come as a unit or can you buy piece by piece?

damn. well i know where a 05 2wd is at with 67k on it for 12k lol

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... Your gonna need some parts... You didn't list them but your gonna need a front bumper cover, a fender flare, also check that headlight and its mount make sure nothing is crack or broken there.

The light i think you have to buy as one piece...

I would say $1-$1500 worth of damage after you figure labor and paint. You have to paint a replacement fender and grill. Although i guess for the grill you could find a used one and line-x it like others have done to avoid painting that.

I'd say take it to a shop and let them and the insurance deal with it at this point.