A/C Resistor trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's an AC Resistor?

Are you referring to the Resistor Block that controls the speed of the interior fan...hot or cold!

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still on my factory unit. Wonder if something is wrong with your fan motor? I do have the sebring mopar unit on the shelf. Have you tried that unit?

JBrake

Reaction score
Im still on my factory unit. Wonder if something is wrong with your fan motor? I do have the sebring mopar unit on the shelf. Have you tried that unit?
No, It's under warranty so they have been free replacement but I'm sure O'Reily is going to stop handing them out soon. It's more of a hassle at this point.

JBrake

Reaction score
No, It's under warranty so they have been free replacement but I'm sure O'Reily is going to stop handing them out soon. It's more of a hassle at this point.
There does seem to be a loose connection or issue with the wiring harness. I occasionally have to wiggle the harness to get the fan to start.

Dave_too

Reaction score
Has anyone else had trouble with a/c resistors blowing. I'm on number 5 in six months
I burned out two in three years and decided to go ahead and replace the blower. The unit I took out took much more effort to turn by hand than its replacement which spun easily. My guess is that it pulled more amps than the resistor could handle.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am still on my original Resistor block on my 2002 Export CRD.

You could have a fan busy seizing up or with an internal fault or the leads going to the fan motor could be shorting to chassis intermittently.

You need to physically trace the wiring and check the fan motor is moving freely.

There is a more robust Resistor block available but more likely a wiring issue or bad motor.

wb2kki

Reaction score
You may want to check the current of the fan motor. Not sure what it is but if fan is bad or binding it will pull too much current and heat up the resistors. Just a thought.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
(I am sorry that this is not as helpful as it 'could" be. If I find the answer I will update this.)

The stock Liberty resistor pack was known to be problematic. Some users here replaced it with a drop-in resistor pack made for another brand and model altogether which seems to be more robust. Mine has never failed so I can't recall what the brand and model is. Hopefully I will find it or someone else with a better memory than mine will see this.

Dave_too

Reaction score
(I am sorry that this is not as helpful as it 'could" be. If I find the answer I will update this.)

The stock Liberty resistor pack was known to be problematic. Some users here replaced it with a drop-in resistor pack made for another brand and model altogether which seems to be more robust. Mine has never failed so I can't recall what the brand and model is. Hopefully I will find it or someone else with a better memory than mine will see this.
I want to say it's a Chrysler Sebring, but don't quote me. My thought has always been why would you want a more robust resister? Why not address the problem directly with either the wiring or the fan blower motor?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave - that is it. :)

As for why, the people who have had problems felt like the stock resistors were not up to *****. Having never had the issue myself I have no opinion on the matter. My Jeep will turn 15 next months and mine is still going strong. (Knock wood.) ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The "bad" word I used was $nuff, as in the smokeless tobacco people dip or snort up their nose. Glad we are protected so well here...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep is coming up to 20 years old and still has its original Resistor pack. However lots of owners have had the original resistor pack give up on them and the upgraded..ex Sebring .... resistor pack works well for them.
Something may have changed in the motor design over the years which causes the newer KJs to go through the original resistor packs more rapidly as apposed to earlier Jeeps.
No harm in fitting a larger rated resistor pack....will not run as hot as the original and hence less of a fire hazard!

LibertyTC knows where to source the better resistor pack!

On my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD I have replaced:
One turbo hose.
Clutch two or three times.
Front and rear brakes.
Timing Belt and Serpentine belt about three times due to age.
Tires.
More powerful front light bulbs.
All lubricants, oil and air filters.
Hood and rear window lifters.
Battery a few times.
Clockspring.

Fixed a lot of wiring problems after GF pranged into a tree.

I think they made the first KJs a lot tougher than later ones!;)

Kal808

Reaction score
Has anyone else had trouble with a/c resistors blowing. I'm on number 5 in six months
I have 2006 jeep liberty and had the same problem. I changed the blower motor and the fuses and have not had a problem since.
You must be registered for see images attach

timg

Reaction score
Personally I think it's bad design that can lead to failure. The lowest setting "1" means that all of the resistors on the pack are engaged to limit current to the motor so it runs slower. Consequently a lot of heat builds up in the resistor pack, coupled with not much air moving over it to cool it, will lead to failure. There is also no way to turn off the fan with the speed control ****, you have to use the "mode" **** and to be honest I would never bother. If you run your fan on the lowest setting a lot I think you'll experience a failure. I removed the lead from the resistor pack connector for the lowest setting, so now position 1 is "off", solving hopefully three problems at once.

<edit>
Uhhh, **** = kn0b

Last edited:

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upgrade blower motor resistor was bwd ru1040 , the original bmrs didn't have enough heat sinking and had inadequate potting, which was the root of the bmrs burning out which usually happened during winter months when users wanted heat but had already gotten the cabin comfortable and were just trying to maintain temp using a lower speed setting, speed 4 is a resistor pack bypass so folks who pretty much always operate on speed 4 or off as an all or nothing sort of deal, rarely ever had problems

Latest posts

Members online