a/c issues. 2002 3.7 ltd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simple issues...

45psi in system off low side. no leaks, no dye visible.

all o-rings and seals were replaced when the new motor went in.

blows cold when vehicle is cold (morning start) or if a/c has not been turned on yet. once the compressor has ran a bit, it starts blowing warm.

I thought it could be the high pressure sensor, but i checked contacts, checked resistance, no issues there.

Then I checked power and ground to the compressor. Basically I took a junk compressor connector and the corresponding connector from the engine harness of a 2wd that I converted, wired a test light between the two on each wire, and plugged it in.

Doing that, the "test lights" work at all times...when cold and actually blowing cold, and when the compressor has ran for a bit and stops blowing cold.

When it's blowing warm, the compressor clutch turns off even though there is power to it and power to ground.

I've taken the clutch apart and checked the shims and wear, but that appears fine. I cannot find the correct resistance of the clutch coil, so I'm unsure of that.

What I'm leaning towards is that I have a bad coil in the a/c clutch, and replacing the clutch would be the way to go.

Does this seem accurate?

Thanks.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you already diagnosed it. Time for a cluch and coil pack. If the compressor was locking up you would fry the clutch and know it. Make sure you get that air gap right.