a/c is possessed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So driving home from SC today my a/c switched from middle vents to the defrost and floor.

I played with the airflow settings and it would go back to "face" air. It kept doing this and about 100 miles later I realized it would change to defrost and floor uphill and if I put ac on lowest setting it would return to the middle but only if I was going downhill.

I searched but could only find intake clog problems (screen behind my glovebox is clean) and compressor problems (still blows cold on windshield and feet). I think its the door that changes the air location.

Does anyone know the easiest way through the dash to it and the locations of the vacuum lines that control it. I can't find a leak in the vacuum lines under the hood.

Thanks in advance.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I had that same issue the other day. A/C was on feet and face, but then switch to the defroster. I was like, EH??!! Just turned it off for a few minutes and turned it back on and everything was A-OK and has been since...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Going up the hills the ****** probably downshifted causing the vacuum to drop. Thus causing the flapper to default to the defrost/floor. Does your cruise control work ok?

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cruise works fine. I also suspect a vacuum leak but all the lines in the engine bay look fine. I need to know where the lines run because I don't want to have to dissassemble my entire dash looking for them