A/C compressor going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the second time today I had an awful smell come through the vents, like something was burning up. First time it happened a couple days ago I lifted the hood and tried to sniff it out but couldn't find the source.

After reading some of the comments on other threads here on the a/c compressor going out, I suspect that's what may be happening.

Question is- can I expect this thing to keep giving me warning signals (chirping belt, etc) or is it going to leave me stranded suddenly? I'm somewhat handy but don't think I'm good enough to pull the compressor and do the belt reroute in 30 minutes and make it to work on time.

Second question- What can I look for to know if it is the a/c going out? Or maybe there are lots of other things that could cause the smell...

As a side note, I think I'm tired of paying the shop to fix this kind of stuff. It seems way too simple and it's getting costly!

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, y'all- I appreciate the comments!

I think I'll get dad to help me look at it. Maybe turn the AC on for a while and see if we can get the smell again.