A/C Clutch Diagnosis Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership tells me my a/c clutch is bad and that you can't get just the clutch. (The internet says otherwise, but maybe that's not OEM) so they want to do the whole compressor to the tune of $885 parts & labor.

They go on to say that you can feel the play on the shaft, to which I replied "even with the serpentine belt on it, you can feel the movement?" and the guy said yes.

I said I would have to think about it.

Just popped the hood and grabbed the clutch and tried to wiggle it. Felt no movement whatsoever. Should I really have been able to feel the play, if there was any?

Kidketchup

Reaction score
Clutch is always replaceable. On the Web, you can get it for less than 100$ and you will find enough video on YouTube on how to diagnose and replace if it is the clutch the issue.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I317M en utilisant Tapatalk

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch is always replaceable. On the Web, you can get it for less than 100$ and you will find enough video on YouTube on how to diagnose and replace if it is the clutch the issue.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I317M en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, I am seeing them available from many sources.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the challenge from all the forum replies is the difficulty of getting the correct air gap required.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone just told me that the aftermarket clutches are junk and that they only last 6 months. Does that make any sense?

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the challenge from all the forum replies is the difficulty of getting the correct air gap required.

There are little shims installed behind the clutch plate......you remove as many shims as necessary to get the gap right......I work on alot of a/c systems.....one of the steps I do when servicing a system is set the gap as close to .013 mm's as possible.

Also, it is a good idea to remove that front clutch plate and look at the backside of it, making sure that it's nice and smooth.

Here's a link: 2002 Jeep Liberty Intermitent A/C Cooling

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are little shims installed behind the clutch plate......you remove as many shims as necessary to get the gap right......I work on alot of a/c systems.....one of the steps I do when servicing a system is set the gap as close to .013 mm's as possible.

Also, it is a good idea to remove that front clutch plate and look at the backside of it, making sure that it's nice and smooth.

Here's a link: 2002 Jeep Liberty Intermitent A/C Cooling

Really good info. Thanks! What is not clear to me is where to measure the air gap. I have tons of feeler gauges and lots of experience using them, but can't tell (from the pics in the link) where I am measuring.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really good info. Thanks! What is not clear to me is where to measure the air gap. I have tons of feeler gauges and lots of experience using them, but can't tell (from the pics in the link) where I am measuring.

Between the clutch plate and the pulley surface where the clutch plate contacts it.

Latest posts

Members online