87 XJ axles - hpD30 & D44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.55 is a perfect gear with these 30" tires. 6th is always used on the highway. 120km/h (says the speedo) @2500rpm. I do have to downshift for most hills, but that's pretty normal for a gas engine. I wouldn't want to lose top speed and economy with a lower axle ratio. Plus there's the carrier break to work around.

This rig may get a diesel engine when the V6 packs it in.... at which point 3.55 is pretty ideal.

The '87 XJ I looked at had the D44 rear... but I waited too long, and its now sold. Another option I've stumbled on is a small pattern 9.25" with 3.90 ratio. :D

In light of the wife not wanting serious mods in the near future, I may just rebuild the front with a Tru-trac, and/or maybe take a stab at chopping up a spare 8.25" for a bigger IFS diff. (ala JBA style)
Going to SFA it to run stock tires?

I know some CRD guy's that have regeared to get back power and mpg's.4.56's for 32" tires,4.88's for 33" tires,and at least 5.13's for 35" tires in a KJ with any engine.Live where I do and 5.38's would be a much better choice for 35" tires.