7" Xenarc, where to mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aychamo

Reaction score
Hey guys;

I'm trying to find an ideal location to mount a Xenarc 7" touchscreen VGA monitor. It's for a carputer. I like the OEM look, and don't want to modify it much, and am looking for simplicity.

I was thinking of using one of those Pro-Fit (or whatever) cell phone mounts, that come out from the side of the radio, and put the screen on that. I just don't want it to be obtrusive, or look idiotic. I think maybe one of those shorter (like 4") gooseneck things would work too.

Any suggestions?

(for those interested, I'm writing software for the Mac for a carputer, I will publish the software in a few days, along with a lot of screenshots. I'm very happy with it so far)

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:
Hey guys;

I'm trying to find an ideal location to mount a Xenarc 7" touchscreen VGA monitor. It's for a carputer. I like the OEM look, and don't want to modify it much, and am looking for simplicity.

I was thinking of using one of those Pro-Fit (or whatever) cell phone mounts, that come out from the side of the radio, and put the screen on that. I just don't want it to be obtrusive, or look idiotic. I think maybe one of those shorter (like 4") gooseneck things would work too.

Any suggestions?

(for those interested, I'm writing software for the Mac for a carputer, I will publish the software in a few days, along with a lot of screenshots. I'm very happy with it so far)
check out my link http://www.inmyhappyplace.com/jeep/dash.php.
I dont think the Pro-Fit will work (too small). The gooseneck works, but it may get in the way of your passenger, depending on where you mount it. Do you plan to keep your radio?

aychamo

Reaction score
How much does that electronic device on your gooseneck get in the way of the passenger? I just want something convienent, and that isn't too obvious.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:
How much does that electronic device on your gooseneck get in the way of the passenger? I just want something convienent, and that isn't too obvious.
That is why i stop using that setup, it got in the way of any passenger. I think the screen was position ok, but the Sirius reciever wasnt. Passengers would have to sit funny to avoid banging into it. The other problem was that the screen would get in the way of shifting sometimes.

aychamo

Reaction score
Sorry I have to keep asking so many questions, I'm physically separated from my Liberty right now (by a few thousand miles!) so I can't go sit in it and figure this out for myself. Do you think there is any position to mount the gooseneck on the driver side of the cockpit? Perhaps in the little area between the steering wheel and the console? Or.. I don't have 4wd, so maybe in that little pocket area where the 4wd lever would be?

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:
Sorry I have to keep asking so many questions, I'm physically separated from my Liberty right now (by a few thousand miles!) so I can't go sit in it and figure this out for myself. Do you think there is any position to mount the gooseneck on the driver side of the cockpit? Perhaps in the little area between the steering wheel and the console? Or.. I don't have 4wd, so maybe in that little pocket area where the 4wd lever would be?
I dont think the screen will fit there with out getting in the way. Are you keeping the HU?

aychamo

Reaction score
Hey there!

I definitely want to keep my head unit. I just want my carputer to be a supplement to the car's already nice audio system.

aychamo

Reaction score
Hello again Bill!

Do you think there's room in the console area for something like this? (I figured you'd like the red!) It could be on a short gooseneck mounted in that little area where the 4wd lever is (I have a 2wd). Or, the gooseneck could come out from the side..??

May you estimate how much room is there between the shift knob when it's in Park and the HVAC controls?

lol, this would be so much easier if I had my Jeep with me!

You must be registered for see images

aychamo

Reaction score
Or what do you think about in the sun visor? I don't even remember what our sunvisors look like. Are they too anemic?

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:
Or what do you think about in the sun visor? I don't even remember what our sunvisors look like. Are they too anemic?
The sunvisors may not be able to hold the weight of the LCD. I will measure the area in the morning to see if the LCD will fit where you want.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go do a quick measurement. I used the dimension of my 7" for reference. Mounting the screen that low (even on a angle), my leg bangs into it and it gets in the way of shifting. If your going to go with the goose neck, try mounting its so that its higher up, so that the bottom of the LCD is above the shift knob.

aychamo

Reaction score
Hey !

I just wanted to thank you for checking that out!

Aychamo

aychamo

Reaction score
Hey Bill!

What do you think about mounting it (via some type of angle bracket) from the dome light area. The area where the dome light, garage door openers, etc are? Is there any room? Would it hang in front of the rear view mirror? Is it visible at all? So many decisions.. lol

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an evic or sunroof? I think if you dont have an evic, it maybe possible. It will definitely block the rear view mirror, but as long as you mount it as a flip down/up then you can just flip it up out of the way.

Latest posts

Members online