6-Speed manual rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajunrebel

Reaction score
I bought my jeep (06' Sport 2wd) last September while I was stationed away from home and had my parents and brother (who has an 02' Liberty) check it out. They said all was fine with it and I bought it. When I got home in November to pick it up I found that it was very hard to put it into reverse and often kicked out of gear. Since then the problem with reverse has gotten no better and now first gear does the same thing. I found on All Data that there is a bulletin out for the problem. Basically the previous owner put the jeep into reverse (or tried) at highway speed and destroyed the reverse syncoro. The same problem appears to be happening to first gear (Dont believe its from me, but ooh well its still a problem). Jeep came out with a parts kit to repair the reverse gear problem. It involves replacing ANYTHING to do with reverse that could have been damaged. But problem is the kit is rather expensive and probably contains more things than I need. Being military I am on a budget so I dont want to dump alot of money into fixing half the problem (would still need similar parts for first). Plus if I am going to break the transmission apart to do this I am going to go ahead and rebuild the whole thing (also replacing my clutch). As far as mechanical skill I have no problem tackling a task like this, but I will need to get ahold of the specialty tools used for the rebuild. I have seen a tool kit online for the Dodge Nitro which supposedly shares the nsg370 with the Liberty. I think it has most of what I would need for the rebuild in it. But my problem is that I cannot find a rebuild kit for the transmission or a source for replacement parts. If anyone knows of any online, mail order, or even local (local to Las Vegas) sources please let me know. I really am dreading having to get them from Heep.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there have been having the exact same problems, what year is your car?
Mine is an export 05 sport

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a trans shop for a rebuild kit,there are different kits for different rebuilds.Have fun,rebuilding a manual is not fun at all.Have lots of grease handy,those needle bearings are a pain to keep in place.

Latest posts

Members online