5 speed issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have been having an issue with the colder temperatures in the morning affecting my ******. The problem is shifting to 2nd gear causes a nice grinding sound as it kicks back the stick in my hand. Now if I wait 5 seconds or so in between the 1st to 2nd shift, all is fine. This issue only happens on an upshift to 2nd gear. Downshifting to 2nd is prefectly fine when the ****** is cold. Now, I have changed my ****** fluid to Amsoil synchromesh which is designed specifically for the nv3550 on recommendation from others with this transmission. This in turn has made shifting quite smooth now but the issue still occurs. NOTE: When the transmission gets up to temperature, this thing shifts as smooth as butter in all gears. Upon researching this issue, a lot of people say it is the 2nd gear synchro going. BUT, all the ones that had synchros go out say it grinds ALL the time and both upshifting and downshifting and is usually worse when warmed up. Now more reading has me looking at the slave cylinder? Could it not be releasing the clutch when cold? Also, where can I check the fluid level for that master cylinder and slave cylinder?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated much.

Thanks everyone

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was the slave cylinder it would be happening when shifting into any gear. What happens if you skip first and try to launch from a stop in second? Will it go into second when not moving?

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was the slave cylinder it would be happening when shifting into any gear. What happens if you skip first and try to launch from a stop in second? Will it go into second when not moving?

Yes, it will go it perfectly fine in second when not moving. Lately I have just been starting in 2nd gear when its cold out.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will go it perfectly fine in second when not moving. Lately I have just been starting in 2nd gear when its cold out.

Mine is doing and has always done the same thing. I have even played around with different oil grades to try and help things but to no avail. I have resigned myself to accepting it is a Jeep thing! In theory its probably a sticking synchro ring until the oils gets hot enough so I usually just leave it ticking over for 5 minutes before I drive off so the gearbox oil warms up a bit and that seems to improve things a bit. Still a pain in the **** though!

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing and has always done the same thing. I have even played around with different oil grades to try and help things but to no avail. I have resigned myself to accepting it is a Jeep thing! In theory its probably a sticking synchro ring until the oils gets hot enough so I usually just leave it ticking over for 5 minutes before I drive off so the gearbox oil warms up a bit and that seems to improve things a bit. Still a pain in the **** though!

I also read somewhere where someone thought it was sticking synchros.... so maybe they do need to warm up before working properly... :disgust:

By the way, how severe is your grinding? Kinda like you tried shifting without the clutch?

Last edited:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also read somewhere where someone thought it was sticking synchros.... so maybe they do need to warm up before working properly... :disgust:

By the way, how severe is your grinding? Kinda like you tried shifting without the clutch?

Not too bad after letting it warm up for 5 mins. Just shift it earlier in the rev range, sort of 2k revs ish, and try and match the road speed to the change like trying to drive with no clutch if you have ever done that? There is a point where it will slip into gear without a sound. Just keep a little bit of pressure on the gear lever, don't try and force it if it doesn't want to go, and you will find a point where it slips in nicely. (Cue ****** remarks) Hehe.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.... mine usually grinds when I shift in the 2k range (usually do this most of the time anyways) Although that is when it is bone cold still.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.... mine usually grinds when I shift in the 2k range (usually do this most of the time anyways) Although that is when it is bone cold still.

Just try leaving it running to warm up for 5 mins and try changing sooner or later or faster or slower etc. You will find the sweet spot! Hehe

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just try leaving it running to warm up for 5 mins and try changing sooner or later or faster or slower etc. You will find the sweet spot! Hehe

It's the warming up thing that is the problem. Always make it to work 3 minutes early! :emotions33:

greg_kj

Reaction score
That's an annoying problem. Look's like there's no cheap solution.
The clutch release hydraulic system is sealed and is serviced as assembly (way big leap for humanity). You could suffer from the worn synchronizer itself, but also it could be just an imperfect 2nd gear synchro combined with a slightly draggin' clutch. There is known history of replacing the clutches in order to cure poor gear shifting.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an annoying problem. Look's like there's no cheap solution.
The clutch release hydraulic system is sealed and is serviced as assembly (way big leap for humanity). You could suffer from the worn synchronizer itself, but also it could be just an imperfect 2nd gear synchro combined with a slightly draggin' clutch. There is known history of replacing the clutches in order to cure poor gear shifting.

But if the clutch is slighty dragging, wouldn't it do it in every gear?

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if the clutch is slighty dragging, wouldn't it do it in every gear?

If the clutch was dragging it would be nigh on impossible to select reverse gear!
I think you will find it is second gear synchro that is causing the problem the same as mine. I think mine was made worse by the previous owner not sorting a problem with the dual mass flywheel which I had a problem with as soon as I got it. It was very very difficult to engage any gears at all and with no mechanical sympathy she just kept forcing the gear lever to engage gears when they didn't want to. And you just need to set your alarm clock 7 minutes earlier and you can warm the Jeep up and get to work with 5 mins to spare instead of 3. Hehe. :yawn: