4x4 strange noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So driving around in the snow alot been using 4FT. There seems to be a loud distinctive hummmmmm when you press the gas. Any idea what this is? Does this mean i should change the diff fluid?

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hense the reason I don't get a 4X4. I always hear people at work complaining my 4X4 won't work it's gona cost thousands to fix it. No thank you. I'm good.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When well maintained a 4x4...... anyways, if you haven't changed the gear oil in the diff or the ATF+4 in the t-case in a long while, swap it out and get back to us.

KCJeep

Reaction score
My front end in 4x4 mode whirrs a little bit and the pitch increases with speed it always did, and I did replace the fluid up there but I am not worried.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is totally silent. My ears wouldn't be able to tell me if I was in 4x4. Like said, change all the fluids and report back. take note of what comes out of the differentials and transfer case. Look for excessive metal shavings etc. I just have command track though not the full time option. Maybe it is your transfer case having something to do with the 4WD Full time.

trophyslayer

Banned
Reaction score
My front end in 4x4 mode whirrs a little bit and the pitch increases with speed it always did, and I did replace the fluid up there but I am not worried.

mine has the whirrs too, not worried about it either as it has always done it and it is not too loud, but you can diffently tell when you are in 4x4

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's always kind of buzzed/howled/whirred/however you want to describe it when in 4WD--As long as you're not hearing it because you're using it on drive pavement, I think it may just be a normal noise? Maybe it's just something that happens with particular Kjs? =P

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hense the reason I don't get a 4X4. I always hear people at work complaining my 4X4 won't work it's gona cost thousands to fix it. No thank you. I'm good.

You're right...it's something more to break. May as well remove your stereo...and cruise control...and power windows....give away your PC...and your TV....'cause I mean, it's just more stuff to break, right? ;) 4WD serves a purpose. I wouldn't have bought an SUV w/o 4WD. That was the whole point.

To the OP - in 4FT, I have no real noise. Truthfully, I can't really tell that it's in 4FT other than I have better traction in poor weather conditions.