4x4 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lil black liberty

Lol on a serious note though a 5.9L Hemi does sound beastly...Actually I was thinkin more old school...440 Hemi...with a 8 barrel carb... yeah...

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ on a serious note what would happen if the engine DIDNT know about the existence of all that stuff, the diference between 4hi and 4low in the t-case is gearing isnt?

Yup, it's all internal in the t-case. You could bolt a 242 in where the 231 was. You might get some funky lights on the dash (but probably not). But it would work fine. It's all mechanical.

The fancy little PCM features just probably wouldn't work. Hell, maybe they would.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, it's all internal in the t-case. You could bolt a 242 in where the 231 was. You might get some funky lights on the dash (but probably not). But it would work fine. It's all mechanical.

The fancy little PCM features just probably wouldn't work. Hell, maybe they would.

that's what i think.....i would think that to get full time the computer has to know, but just for a 231....screw it as long as its engaged all 4 wheels will turn depending on the position gearing

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what i think.....i would think that to get full time the computer has to know, but just for a 231....screw it as long as its engaged all 4 wheels will turn depending on the position gearing

Nope, the full time action is all internal and mechanical. No computer needed, no computer involved. Accomplished via a center differential/viscous coupler type thing inside the T-case.

The "center differential" is the main difference between the NP242 and the NP231.

The 242 transfer case Full time mode opens the center differential allowing the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds while still being linked by the transfer case. The end with the least traction will get the most torque.

Last edited:

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, the full time action is all internal and mechanical. No computer needed, no computer involved. Accomplished via a center differential/viscous coupler type thing inside the T-case.

The "center differential" is the main difference between the NP242 and the NP231.

The 242 transfer case Full time mode opens the center differential allowing the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds while still being linked by the transfer case. The end with the least traction will get the most torque.

i DIDNT NOT know that about the 242 i thought it was computer controled....the 242 is always expensive too isnt.

i think im just gonna do that put everything on mine and let it work mechanically :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
LBL...I'd just swap everything to the donor. Probably be easier, and more straight forward. Even have the donor Diggerized. :D

KCJeep

Reaction score
I've been trying to say that I just couldn't explain my self, even if you shift into 4low from what they have said here...it's all gearing, if programmed if would turn on the light in the dash( which I don't care), turn off the air bags, disable the esp which I don't have, turns off the ABS which I don't have either.......so what's the worst it could happen, they have said here that most of it is mechanical

Yeah right I don't see why it wouldn't work even with a full-time transfer case and no lighting on the dashboard. I think the only issues would be the having to be in neutral to shift into 4low because the auto transmission also has to be in neutral for the transfer case to shift into neutral then on to 4low so there is communication there I would guess. There is always a way to bypass that if there is lockout too just remove it but you gotta be careful not to shift into 4low when moving or you get a gear grind. I was coasting in neutral decided to put the transfer case in neutral to test it all out. I was drifting a little like 2mph or less and wanted to see what 4low felt like and while in motion I put it in and got a little gear grind so without a lockout feature you got to be extra careful!

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LBL -

It will be much easier to swap all of your 4x2 components into the doner 4x4 vehicle.

About the "electronics" question

I thought that 4-Lo reporgramed the ABS system to be less intrusive and throttle control to be much more sensitive... So even though there is no electrical - computer interface, the KJ vehcile system does rely on having the proper electronics for 100% functionality.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...true about the electrical "fun stuff" like advanced timing and idle and ABS control. The Liberty does all that. But you don't need it and the 242 will still work as intended if you swap it in. That was my point.

If you guys think you need the PCM to advance the timing for you and modify your ABS (another thing I'm glad I don't have) then I guess you'll have to worry about the electrical aspects of a t-case swap. But it's not necessary.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol on a serious note though a 5.9L Hemi does sound beastly...Actually I was thinkin more old school...440 Hemi...with a 8 barrel carb... yeah...

Ummm, you mean a 426 Hemi right? Or a 392 "Fireball" Hemi? I think Mopar made a 356 Hemi as well in the early/mid fifties. You can thank Zora Arkus Duntov for those, and the Corvette. The 8 bbl was two 4 bbls (Thermoquads I believe) on a big freakin' manifold.

Could go with the 413 or 426 Max Wedge and a wicked cool looking cross ram. That'd be sweet.

L

lil black liberty

Ummm, you mean a 426 Hemi right? Or a 392 "Fireball" Hemi? I think Mopar made a 356 Hemi as well in the early/mid fifties. You can thank Zora Arkus Duntov for those, and the Corvette. The 8 bbl was two 4 bbls (Thermoquads I believe) on a big freakin' manifold.

Could go with the 413 or 426 Max Wedge and a wicked cool looking cross ram. That'd be sweet.

Uh no exactly what I said a 440 Hemi

http://www.shophemi.com/p-1025-440-hemi-crate-engine-by-arrington-engines.aspx

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L

lil black liberty

That is not a HEMI,our 3.7's are more of a actual "HEMI" then the engines they label HEMI's.They actually tried to have a old school HEMI heads but they will not pass emissions so they changed them to normal combustion chambers.

True True...Still it's pretty impressive but yes a Cast Iron Hemi is/was so much different than todays "LABEL"

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the donor got hit in the rear? Any other damage? Otherwise by the looks of it just drop in a motor from a junkyard and buy new parts for the rear end over time, or is there more missing from the donor vehicle??

Heck you could sell your 4x2 as it is now, a complete vehicle, and use that money to rebuild the donor and have the 4x4 you wanted.

I assume you must have gotten a good deal on the donor? Doesn't look that messed up in the picture, tailgate appears to be bent, but other than that not much body damage from the picture.

L

lil black liberty

Looks like the donor got hit in the rear? Any other damage? Otherwise by the looks of it just drop in a motor from a junkyard and buy new parts for the rear end over time, or is there more missing from the donor vehicle??

Heck you could sell your 4x2 as it is now, a complete vehicle, and use that money to rebuild the donor and have the 4x4 you wanted.

I assume you must have gotten a good deal on the donor? Doesn't look that messed up in the picture, tailgate appears to be bent, but other than that not much body damage from the picture.

uh well I should have posted that sooner.. the picture I posted was before I got it.. After I got it pretty much the only thing left was the 4x4 stuff that was still on the rolling chassis... I had someone take a look and they picked all the stuff off I would need to add 4WD.. so I got all the stuff I need in a shed now...Putting it on is a different story and the chassis is gone.. I scrapped it for the price I paid $75 for the rolling chassis and 4WD stuff because it was sitting in a guy's front yard and he just wanted it gone... That's an Okie for ya!

Members online

No members online now.