4x4 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lil black liberty

Picked up a 4x4 Donor 2006 Jeep Liberty for little of nothing today in Southeastern Oklahoma:
You must be registered for see images

My question is what exactly do I need to take off of this in order to put 4x4 on my 2wd.. This thing had 20K miles when the engine blew in it, there isn't an engine but the ecu and all that is in there..The CV Axles are in great shape and I had the transmission looked over and the guy said it was in perfect condition.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front diff with mounts, ****** and trasnfer case, ****** mounts, both DS and cv axles, shifter, and cable.....I still don't know about the elecrtonics, which transfer case does it has???

L

lil black liberty

front diff with mounts, ****** and trasnfer case, ****** mounts, both DS and cv axles, shifter, and cable.....I still don't know about the elecrtonics, which transfer case does it has???

Not sure on the transfer case because I'm used to a 2wd..It's whatever comes on a 2006 Sport...

L

lil black liberty

well it can be diff. bc of diff trans case
right?

I dunno man, I have a 2wd so I have no clue.. I was told everything as far as ****** and 4WD was all in good shape.. had a professional mechanic check it out..

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I'm going with the np231 which doesn't have 4wd full time just part time

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your hubs are already splined so dontt worry about that but I thin to get the cv axles out you have to disconect the LCA

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will also have to have your Jeep reprogamed when compleated include the breather vent tube with the front axle
Does it have the trailer pakage on it with the towing cooling pakage? xtra goodies

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will also have to have your Jeep reprogamed when compleated include the breather vent tube with the front axle
Does it have the trailer pakage on it with the towing cooling pakage? xtra goodies

and it's going to be a ****** to get a dealer to reprogram that :(

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the transfer case because I'm used to a 2wd..It's whatever comes on a 2006 Sport...

Take a look at the 4WD shifter...if it says 2HI-4HI-N-4LO, it's an NP231J.

If it says something else and has five positions (all the above plus a 4WD FULL TIME position) it's an NP242.

L

lil black liberty

Yeah it doesn't say Full at all...just 2Hi 4Hi, N, 4Lo... explain something to me though which is better the Np231J or Np242? and is 4WD Full time means that 4 wheel drive is always on?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say one is really better than the other.

The 231 offers your basic 4WD system. 2WD high (normal driving), 4WD HI (slippery situations where you will be going over say 5 mph), Neutral (neutral), and 4WD LO (slippery, particularly nasty situations where you'll be crawling through muck or over rocks very slowly). Remember that with the 231, you must NEVER have 4WD engaged on dry pavement - it would cause driveline damage.

The 242 offers you all of the above plus a "full time" 4WD mode (kinda like All Wheel Drive) that you can have engaged at all times and on all types of road surfaces, even dry pavement. Kind of takes the guess work out of using 4WD.

I have the 231 in mine and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm a purist - I like having to know when to pull the lever and where to pull it to.

Both the 231 and the 242 have a 2.72 low range gear ratio and a 1.00 high range ratio (probably greek to you). They are basically the same damn thing just the 242 gives you the option of full time 4wd.

Last edited:

KCJeep

Reaction score
Just tossing this out there; What exactly would happen if you just converted and didn't do anything to the electronics? If you think about it, you are just going to shift it into four wheel hi mode so what direct bearing does it have on the electronics of the vehicle? We all know old vehicles were just shift, lock hubs and go, and did not need a light on the dashboard to tell us we are in four wheel mode, and the engine didn't care either it was just more drag on the powertrain. So, I am only wondering, if you just throw the package in, and shift it in, it mechanically will go into 4x4 mode so what possible ill effects could it have on the rest of the thing? Does the jeep even have to know it is in four wheel mode? The thing won't even know it is there but you have it in 4hi so nothing should happen at all.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Pull the motor from your 4x2, put it in the silver one, replace effed up parts, then send the skeleton of your high mile 4x2 to ThunderbirdJunkie

L

lil black liberty

Pull the motor from your 4x2, put it in the silver one, replace effed up parts, then send the skeleton of your high mile 4x2 to ThunderbirdJunkie

You know TBJ that's a thought man...that really is...What if I find a cheap KJ engine of course the 3.7 and drop it in this sucker and make it a mud bogger..put an exoskeleton on it.. the works.. my nephew has a welder and he is a damn good welder for only being 17..

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tossing this out there; What exactly would happen if you just converted and didn't do anything to the electronics? If you think about it, you are just going to shift it into four wheel hi mode so what direct bearing does it have on the electronics of the vehicle? We all know old vehicles were just shift, lock hubs and go, and did not need a light on the dashboard to tell us we are in four wheel mode, and the engine didn't care either it was just more drag on the powertrain. So, I am only wondering, if you just throw the package in, and shift it in, it mechanically will go into 4x4 mode so what possible ill effects could it have on the rest of the thing? Does the jeep even have to know it is in four wheel mode? The thing won't even know it is there but you have it in 4hi so nothing should happen at all.

I've been trying to say that I just couldn't explain my self, even if you shift into 4low from what they have said here...it's all gearing, if programmed if would turn on the light in the dash( which I don't care), turn off the air bags, disable the esp which I don't have, turns off the ABS which I don't have either.......so what's the worst it could happen, they have said here that most of it is mechanical

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You know TBJ that's a thought man...that really is...What if I find a cheap KJ engine of course the 3.7 and drop it in this sucker and make it a mud bogger..put an exoskeleton on it.. the works.. my nephew has a welder and he is a damn good welder for only being 17..

DO IT
DO IT
no wait
HEMI SWAP

Members online

No members online now.