4x4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam902

Reaction score
Quick question four the group. I have an 08 jeep liberty 4x4. When I put it in 4 high it drives fine till I try and turn the wheel, it will turn but it's pretty tight. Is this normal? Thanks, Adam

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you driving on pavement? if so, stop it. turning is a little different in 4wd, but you shouldn't be binding up.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You need to be on slick surfaces to run your 4-hi otherwise you bind the gears. If you're operating on dry ground, stop.

Adam902

Reaction score
Lol. I was on pavement but we had some snow and ice. I come from the hummer 4x4 system that was full time 4 wheel drive. Ill need to do a little reading up on the jeep 4 wheel drive. Thanks for the help guys.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. I was on pavement but we had some snow and ice. I come from the hummer 4x4 system that was full time 4 wheel drive. Ill need to do a little reading up on the jeep 4 wheel drive. Thanks for the help guys.
If your KJ only has 2wd,4hi(part time),and 4low selection then you can only use 4wd on slick surfaces.Wet pavement is still a high traction surface.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question four the group. I have an 08 jeep liberty 4x4. When I put it in 4 high it drives fine till I try and turn the wheel, it will turn but it's pretty tight. Is this normal? Thanks, Adam

Since you have an '08 your transfer case 4WD switch on the center console will have one of two choices depending on which transfer case you have.

If you have the Command Trac case your selector will say 4WD Lock and you can only use 4WD Lock on slippery surfaces; as tjkj2002 said above, wet pavement is NOT a slippery surface.

If you have the Selec-Trac II transfer case your selector will say 4WD Auto - and you can drive your Jeep in that 4WD mode on any surface, wet or dry, 12months a year if you want.

From the description above your driveline was binding because it is the Command Trac part time 4WD transfer case. As others have already said (and I've taken too long to say :sleepy: ) DON'T drive in 4WD on wet or dry pavement as you could grenade your transfer case or other parts of the Jeep's driveline.

Bob

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so just out of curiosity...technically if you are driving in a straight line, you shouldn't have binding issues even on a high traction surface, correct? I don't have any plans on doing it....but just so I can understand why binding happens a little better. My understanding is that your front tires are spinning at different speeds when you turn in 4wd, which is controlled by the front differential...so one the wheels need to be able to slip when turning. But if you're traveling in a straight line, the wheels should be spinning at the same speed and not bind up right? Also, what is the mechanical difference of full-time 4wd that alleviates binding? It is just an additional differential between the front and rear, as opposed to locking the front and rear driveshafts together?

(I know he was asking about turning, but we've answered the "why is it hard to turn in 4wd?" question about a million times on here already...so figured I could try to learn something semi-related)

dsmmrm

Reaction score
Yes to the idea that full time is an additional differential type coupling between the front and rear drive shafts. No to the not binding in a straight line, however. The reason is that there are small differences that become cumulative. Like a pound or 2 difference in pressure between tires. I think the front and rear may also be a slightly different gear ratio but I could be wrong there. In any case, even driving in a straight line the drive line will eventually begin to bind as these differences cause more and more rotational error between the front and rear axles.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so just out of curiosity...technically if you are driving in a straight line, you shouldn't have binding issues even on a high traction surface, correct? I don't have any plans on doing it....but just so I can understand why binding happens a little better. My understanding is that your front tires are spinning at different speeds when you turn in 4wd, which is controlled by the front differential...so one the wheels need to be able to slip when turning. But if you're traveling in a straight line, the wheels should be spinning at the same speed and not bind up right? Also, what is the mechanical difference of full-time 4wd that alleviates binding? It is just an additional differential between the front and rear, as opposed to locking the front and rear driveshafts together?

(I know he was asking about turning, but we've answered the "why is it hard to turn in 4wd?" question about a million times on here already...so figured I could try to learn something semi-related)
You have a D30 sized front diff and the rear 8.25 which have different size ring gears so the gear ratio's will not be the same front and rear.They will be close,within 1% and some vehicles up to 5% difference.If you swpped 4.10's in your Liberty you actually 4.09's in the front and actual 4.10's in the rear.Thus even driving in a straight line you will still get driveline bind in 4wd(part time or 4low).

Now if you have the same axle front and rear like a D44 front and D44 rear you will have the exact same gear ratio front and rear.