4x4 problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dprevo

Reaction score
I locked my 4x4 in the other day. Major chunking from under the jeep. Tried to take it out and it wouldn't let me. It finally clicked and the 4x4 shifter went out of 4 wheel drive. The display shows that it is not in 4x4 but by feel and sound I can tell it is. I crawled under the jeep and noticed front drive shaft is still moving even though the 4x4 shifter is completely down. What is wrong with my jeep and is there a cheap way to manually take it out of 4 wheel drive? Thanks for the help

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Front driveshaft turns no matter if locked in or not.
What transfer case do you have?

Dprevo

Reaction score
It is the factory transfer case to a 2002 liberty. I thought it might have been an issue to where the 4x4 lever connects to the transfer case. But I crawled under and had my wife lock it in and out. The lever is connected properly and takes it in and out. I road tested it again and when I disengage the 4x4 it still clunks it almost sounds like you are winding a clock. I have the lever down to disengage the 4x4 but still clunk while drive and bam loud clunk and the winding sound stops. Almost like it was partially in 4x4 and it kicks it out.

Dprevo

Reaction score
Not sure how to tell the difference. I have to pull the lever to lock into 4 hi or 4 lo. Don't know if that helps.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to tell the difference. I have to pull the lever to lock into 4 hi or 4 lo. Don't know if that helps.

Here's how to tell the difference:

If there are four positions noted on the handle (2WD, 4HI, N, 4LO) then you have the CommandTrac Part Time transfer case.

If the handle has five positions on the handle (2WD, 4PartTime, 4FullTime, N, 4LO) then you have the SelecTrac Full Time transfer case.

Bob

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that my shifter takes some effort to engage as well but didn't think it was an issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

With the sound, do you have a worn rear CV boot on your front driveshaft?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Command trac it is then.

Important to know that with that T-case 4WD can only be used on slippery surfaces, and a wet road doesn't qualify. Try taking it on a loose gravel road and engage/disengage 4WD a few times to get the transfer case unbound. Could be that some components are a bit gummed up from lack of use over the years.

I engage mine a couple times a month all year for that very reason. Ensures that it's ready to go when I really need it.

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Could be that some components are a bit gummed up from lack of use over the years.

I engage mine a couple times a month all year for that very reason. Ensures that it's ready to go when I really need it.

Bob

I do the same thing. Mine spent the first seven years of its life in Newport News, Va and doubt it was ever used. Changing the fluid and giving it a regular workout have it operating far smoother than it did the first time I tried it out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Was at an event a few years back that had a section set up for 4 wheel drives, small hill, mud pit to play in. Older guy pulls up and says he wants to try his out could I help him? Sure I can, first question was how do you make 4 wheel drive work, I don't know how. He had owned it 3 years and had never locked it in. Took me about ten minutes to finally get it into 4 high , 4 low.........never did.
You wonder how many are out there that have never been used :shrug:

Dprevo

Reaction score
Thank you all for all the help. Sorry I was delayed in this response. My wife had our second boy so I was a little preoccupied. Thanks again.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for all the help. Sorry I was delayed in this response. My wife had our second boy so I was a little preoccupied. Thanks again.

Lame, dude. SHE did the hard part. :emotions34:

KIDDING - Congratulations to you both! :waytogo:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found when test driving a Jeep that the 4WD selector is typically stiff and difficult to move just from lack of use regardless of the Jeep model.

One of my early Jeep lessons was to learn that it's only possible to shift into 4WD LO while in neutral. Does everybody else do this trick or is it just me?

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always put it in neutral to put it in or take it out of 4 LO. I also back up a few feet after I take it out to make sure it disengages