4X4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 4X4 02 kj....When i switch to 4 wheel drive It kicks into gear and jerks the truck..is that normal? I also can hear a rattle and whine in the left front wheel?

any advice is good

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper method for shifting into and out of four-wheel drive high / part time:

1) Speed must be under 55MPH for the switch
2) Little to no pressure on the gas pedal
3) Driving in straight line
4) Pull up on the handle from 2wd to part-time.
5) Afer a second or two, you should be good to go.

If you are following this method and still hearing a thunk than the noise is probably normal drive line slack. The wine and rattle could be a lot of things or could be normal. To be safe make sure your front diff and transfercase have the proper amount of fluid in them.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sleeve...man I swear everytime you post I love my KJ more and more:D. So the things im hearing are normal. Im going to get to those fluids real soon. I want to for off roading just to get the true feel of the 4x4.

Now since you are a KJ Jedi what fluids do you recommend other than the mopar ATF-4

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 hi has always been smooth and silent on my 06 and 02. 4 low can have a jerk or clang when going into if not done just right.

check fluid levels in the axles and t case.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the feedback KJ Jedi's

The jerking happens when I changed from 2hi to 4hi...then back from 4hi to 2hi. My front end makes a subtle humming noise while im driving in 4hi with speeds over 55mph. I will get to the t-case and the axles next weekend..is it normal for mopar atf-4 to cost over $120?

I prices some today and that is what the guy quoted me for 5 quarts and 2 bottles of the gear additive.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The jerking happens when I changed from 2hi to 4hi...then back from 4hi to 2hi. My front end makes a subtle humming noise while im driving in 4hi with speeds over 55mph. I will get to the t-case and the axles next weekend..is it normal for mopar atf-4 to cost over $120?

I prices some today and that is what the guy quoted me for 5 quarts and 2 bottles of the gear additive.

No, its not normal for ATF+4 to cost that much. You can get it for $4-5 per quart at walmart.

Just as a note, you do not use ATF+4 in the axles so Im not sure why he quoted you for ATF+4 and gear additive. Buy the gear additive at the dealership and you only need ONE bottle IF the rear axle has a limited slip diff in it. Not too many libertys did. You would never need the additive in the front axle since no liberty came with a front limited slip.

You can buy gear oil at advance, napa, etc. Mobil or Castrol is good. I like to get 3 quarts per axle just incase but 5 may do it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the humming noise is normal but please tell me youre not using 4hi on blacktop or any other HARD surface. Thats a big no no.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Don't know why no one said it yet, but you should not be using Part-Time for normal driving like on dry pavement, or go over 55MPH with it at any time. Part Time is just that, not Full time... A guy here has a post, where his Tcase blew at 70MPH because he didn't see it was left in Part-time, and blasted a hole in his Xfer case.

I get a very light whine from the front when it's in 4hi, but nothing plain old talking over won't cover up. No glangs or clunks either... If people use their part-time in full-time applications; this clunking and clanging COULD BE, a sign it was abused like that. Part-time just is NOT designed to run around in, all day, with it on.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK..I think what I am hearing is normal.

Thanks for the tips on the lubes

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

. My front end makes a subtle humming noise while im driving in 4hi with speeds over 55mph.

Shouldn't be doin' that. Shouldn't exceed 55 when in 4hi.