4x4 lever not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Perps

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I have an 03 Liberty Renegade with the Command Trac transfer case. I recently had to rebuild the cv joint on my 4x4 driveshaft. While the driveshaft was removed the floor lever popped up and for a while would not push back down into the 2wd position. I eventually got it back into the 2wd position and re-installed the rebuilt driveshaft. Now the lever won't engage the 4wd. It pulls freely without any resistance and doesn't feel like it's engaging the 4wd. The indecator light on my dash no longer lights up either. It feels like the linkage between the lever and driveshaft is not working. Thoughts? Fixes? Thanks all for any info!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I have an 03 Liberty Renegade with the Command Trac transfer case. I recently had to rebuild the cv joint on my 4x4 driveshaft. While the driveshaft was removed the floor lever popped up and for a while would not push back down into the 2wd position. I eventually got it back into the 2wd position and re-installed the rebuilt driveshaft. Now the lever won't engage the 4wd. It pulls freely without any resistance and doesn't feel like it's engaging the 4wd. The indecator light on my dash no longer lights up either. It feels like the linkage between the lever and driveshaft is not working. Thoughts? Fixes? Thanks all for any info!

Just a thought, ....but have you checked the actual linkage to the transfer case, maybe you knocked it off

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the bushing on the cable where it attaches at the tcase has slipped off or deteriorated. I think the part # is 68078974AA.

Just have to climb under and see. If that isn't it then perhaps the end at the shifter (under the console) has detached.