4WD Lever is Loose and Transmission Wont Engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffreyropp

Reaction score
Never really use 4WD in our old 2002, but tried to this weekend.

Went into 4H without incident, but when I tried to engage 4L, the stick suddenly went loose and now the transmission wont engage.

What did I manage to break? Sorry if I've not used the ideal terms to explain what's happened.

Many thanks for your thoughts,
Jeff

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
More than likey just the cable to the transfer case came off or snapped so it feels like its not going in gear
crawl under it and check that
PLUS never being used is a big no no and asking for problems

jeffreyropp

Reaction score
Thank you @tommudd and @LibertyTC for the responses.

Does this mean that I may only need to replace the bushing?
Is this the right part here:

or this:

After a brutal week, a simple and inexpensive repair would really be great news.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Last edited:

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the bushing breaks and it will, just depends on time, then the cable's eyelet end will still be looped around the arm (TC shifter will feel loose but still work). If that cable eyelet has slipped off the TC shifter arm then it won't do anything. And if your TC was in a gear at the time, then it's stuck there until you physically move that shifter arm by hand or fix the cable bushing. The aftermarket hard polyurethane bushing itself is kinda a pain to 'pop' in (press in is more accurate) but is simple to do. Just takes patience and a steady hand with channel locks and a little lube. Let us know if it's the shifter bushing, or not.