4wd problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepingirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having problems with my command trac . I have had it to different garages several times. The problem is when I have it in part time as I have no full time the front tire will not spin leaving me stuck in snow...how embarrassing is that. When I take it to the garage and they put it on the lift and put it in 4h the left front tire spins. No one seem to think there is a problem. My neighbor pulled me out of the snow today and said the front wheel was not spinning......any ideas on what this could be.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having problems with my command trac . I have had it to different garages several times. The problem is when I have it in part time as I have no full time the front tire will not spin leaving me stuck in snow...how embarrassing is that. When I take it to the garage and they put it on the lift and put it in 4h the left front tire spins. No one seem to think there is a problem. My neighbor pulled me out of the snow today and said the front wheel was not spinning......any ideas on what this could be.
Either a broken(or popped off) t-case shifter cable end,if the shifter super easy to move? Or a CV joint on the front driveshaft to a total dump but you should have had a lot of noise telling you that was happening.Unless it's a problem with the shift cable you would have a lot of noises and grinding.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What shape are your tires in? To much wear difference in tires can affect how it will shift on the fly.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a hint (and not a complaint), but if you think of something after you post that you wish you had added, just edit your post. Makes it look less like a Burma Shave ad. :D

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, tires don't spin.. is this in 4 hi only ? Does the 4wd light on dash come on ? Slight grind is common on shift...ok and when shifting out of 4wd always back up about 3 foot..don't care what the pro's say , if it don't lock out properly and you get on street you may break something...already did it...I shift in on fly, but never out..

Last edited:

jeepingirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep light is on. Don't even attempt to shift on the fly because of the grinding...I bought a jeep so I wouldn't need to get pulled up small incline otherwise I would have kept the saturn it was paid for :)

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slight grind is common if not in neutral, is front not locking only in 4hi ? Is the 4wd dash light coming on ? Fly shifting is ok in 4 hi at low speed,, but not in low, I always back up 3 foot after shifting back into 2wd, before that I had mine stay in hi on street, that cost me $

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the front axle , tires, and drive shaft turn at all times, even in 2wd, the transfer case divides the power on command, by the shifter....if shop lifted it up and put it in neutral then spin tires the front drive shaft should turn. If not then problem is in front.. is so then trans-case is not engaging, could be as simple as linkage, or its internal..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the front axle , tires, and drive shaft turn at all times, even in 2wd, the transfer case divides the power on command, by the shifter....if shop lifted it up and put it in neutral then spin tires the front drive shaft should turn. If not then problem is in front.. is so then trans-case is not engaging, could be as simple as linkage, or its internal..
In the air one front tire can spin one way while the other spins the otherway and the driveshaft stay still.The exact same thing will happen on the rear if open(no locker or LSD).The driveshaft can spin but does not have,does not mean any problem.

If shifting into 4hi while moving(and in gear) there should be no grinding at all,in or out of 4hi.The 231 command trac is a direct shift t-case you are either in or not in 4wd.

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"tires" not one...if you grab both tires in front and turn them forward the drive shaft will turn.. and I have a renagade, it comes stock with a clutch lock in rear...

Latest posts

Members online