4WD problem with 07 kj limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So long story short when I drive in 2wd there is this terrible metal on metal sort of grinding noise coming from the front end. Sometimes more on the passenger side sometimes towards the middle. At low speeds its not noticeable but at 50+ it gets really noticeable.

I tried putting it in 4 to experiment and the jeep started just vibrating and felt like the transfer case wasn't engaging.

A year or so ago I had an incident where I learned a hard lesson about the importance of torque wrenches after a caliper bolt came loose and locked up the passenger front wheel. Tire popped but got it towed and replaced caliper bolts,warped caliper, and scoured pads. Ran fine for like a year until this started happening.

Not sure where to start checking but figure it's probably in the drive shaft or cv joint area. Wheel bearing I don't think would cause that but I'm not 100% sure

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So long story short when I drive in 2wd there is this terrible metal on metal sort of grinding noise coming from the front end. Sometimes more on the passenger side sometimes towards the middle. At low speeds its not noticeable but at 50+ it gets really noticeable.

I tried putting it in 4 to experiment and the jeep started just vibrating and felt like the transfer case wasn't engaging.

A year or so ago I had an incident where I learned a hard lesson about the importance of torque wrenches after a caliper bolt came loose and locked up the passenger front wheel. Tire popped but got it towed and replaced caliper bolts,warped caliper, and scoured pads. Ran fine for like a year until this started happening.

Not sure where to start checking but figure it's probably in the drive shaft or cv joint area. Wheel bearing I don't think would cause that but I'm not 100% sure

Any ideas?

First what transfer case do you have?
Next, if right front more than likely its the CV and Intermediate shaft if so replace both. USE ONY NAPA remanned CV and can get Intermediate shaft off of amazon, etc
If they are ok and sounding more middle, under drivers seat then it is the rear most CV on the front driveshaft, very easy to replace and inexpensive. www.driveshaftparts.com Boot deteriorates and lets dirt/ dust etc into the CV , happens to all of them at about 75-80,000 miles

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First what transfer case do you have?

Next, if right front more than likely its the CV and Intermediate shaft if so replace both. USE ONY NAPA remanned CV and can get Intermediate shaft off of amazon, etc

If they are ok and sounding more middle, under drivers seat then it is the rear most CV on the front driveshaft, very easy to replace and inexpensive. www.driveshaftparts.com Boot deteriorates and lets dirt/ dust etc into the CV , happens to all of them at about 75-80,000 miles
Not sure what transfer case I have exactly. But the other stuff you suggested would make sense as I've never had any of that replaced and we are at 168k lol

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its 2wd - 4pt- 4ft - N - 4lo
You must be registered for see images attach

NP242 (New Process 242), also known as Selec-Trac. Sometimes called NV242, or New Venture 242. It has the 4-wheel full time option, which acts kinda like an all-wheel drive variant that you can use on any road condition.

Last edited: