45rfe rough shift help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which joints where please explain. Would this cause a rough shift for only one gear.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On each end of the rear driveshaft there is ujoints. At each end of the rear driveshaft try pushing it around to see if there is any play in those ujoints by pushing around on driveshaft ends next to ujoints, it should be stiff at each end of driveshaft. Lucas has worked on some transmissions. I know people who swear by it. I would trust Lucas for about anything it has it's name on it. It still doesn't mean it will fix the problem you are going after if its bad enough it wont work.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not that bad just bad enough. Its really hard to explain because its not normal problems like slipping or grinding. Just a hard shift with a skip. Like a slow shift in a manual trans. It also only does it once it has warmed up a bit. Tha ks for the input guys i am going to wiggle around the u joints when i get home. Well hopefully not wiggle them but you know what i mean check em out.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think its a ujoint either. When I ran my craftsman scan tool on a co workers dodge minivan which is closely related to Jeep's a couple months ago, i forgot what code came up but it had something to do with the electronics. It would also do almost the same as you explained. When it warmed up it would not shift right out of second gear. He would shut the engine off after it warmed up and did that and when he shut engine off and turn it back on and it would shift fine again.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U joints on the drive shaft are stiff no budge tried pushing it front back nodda tried turning ot nodda

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its the solenoid pack or the speed sensors. I am leaning towards the pack because it would explain why its only 2nd to 3rd. I called a few trans shops near me. Aamco specifically said twice the "initial" scan is free sounds like there is a catch. Another spot said the scan would cost $40 but i ahould save that towards a new trans. Like $40 puts a dent in a new trans he was already determined thats what i need.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to try that or lucas. No check engine light not codes that i can read with an obd.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local auto part store didnt have lubeguard i got lucas stop slip going to drain out some and add it in finger crossed.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of now still hard shift at the gear between 20 mph and 30 mph.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesn't it only hard shift up or both up and down?

Sorry bout your woes Jesse.
Sometimes mine shifts hard when cold.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only up. Its not like its just a hard shift it like stalls a second like a stick shift. Just got this feeling its nothing major because it didnt gradually set in little by little. Just started doing it. And only when its hot and only that one shift. The lucas made the other shifts like glass so clean. Thats life just hard to not get down about it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn....

Hm.... did you do a fluid exchange before you changed out the ****** filters?
Sorry I don't remember.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No i just dropped my pan changed filter and replaced the fluid. I think the fluid looks good very clean nice and red.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
158k without the slightest sign of slipping or shuddering. Until one day just started doing this out of no where. Its a 2002 with the 45.

Latest posts

Members online