42RLE and 45RFE Transmission Filter and Gasket Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vendra

Reaction score
Transmition oil

Hi, I live in Brazil and I 've a 2004 Liberty with 34000 miles. Now I 'd like to change the transmition oil, that is a ATF+4, acording to the owner's manual.
Here in Brazil is very difficult to buy this one, only in Jeep Dealers , with high cost.
Do you know another oil espicification to use in place of ATF+4 ??

Thanks for the moment,

Mario

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use ATF+4 or buy a new transmission.... I realize its expensive at the dealer, but cheaper than a new transmission!!

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info in this sticky. I reviewed it before I bought filter/gasket/atf+4 today.

callhimup50

Reaction score
used rubber gasket only

Hey, Before I read this thread, I changed the trans fluid on my 04 liberty with 42RLE trans. I used the rubber gasket on the pan ONLY, and it has not leaked at all yet. I have put about 400 miles on it since. I do not recall the ribbs on either mating surface. maybe I got lucky? So far so good? Question: should I go back and re-tighten the pan bolts soon? Do you think I'm gonna spring a leak soon?

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deleted...

The punks on here seem to think they know everything, so they can just go borrow more money from mommy... I'm done with it, i try to help, i post links and information on my own free time, and then i get shit on. Whatever... Good Bye..

LOL, this is the perfect example of why you do not allow edits past 5 minutes from the post.

This sticky should probably be removed considering the first post :shrug:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I'm doing a transmission fluid and filter change this week and told the mechanic I would get the filter kit. I sure do wish there was information in this sticky. It would be nice if somebody would recreate it if it really was helpful.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I still want some information on the transmission filter kit. I called Advance Auto and another local parts store and was quoted $15 and $28 respectively. I realized later I should have asked what the brands were but is there something I need to look for when getting this stuff?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix does well for oil and air filters. Can't confirm but it would be a reliable choice and available on rockauto. That or mopar.

Perhaps someone who has done this can comment.

Bump and such.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put another post in the main forum about the pan rusting, however with regards to the filter I have found even Mopar prices all over the place. My 2003 service manual states to use RTV on the pan, do the later trannys use the gasket (which would honestly be easier and less messy).

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spin-on cooler return filter for the 45RFE looks like it has been replaced with 05179267AC, that's what they gave me at the dealer a few days ago.

kwak

Reaction score
running engine

Hi

the engine is running at transmission fluid level check?

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting

I did this job a few weeks ago on my 02. I bought the filters and fluid from the dealer, and a gasket from autozone. Halfway through I decided to spend another 30 bucks to replace my dented and rusty pan. Advance Auto had the part and I now have a handy drain plug just waiting for the next service.

So even if my gasket leaks......the repair won't be messy at all. Highly recommended.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the two gaskets i verified would work on the 42RLE, i compared them physically one over the top of the other.

ATP TG111
Fel-Pro TOS18743

Myself i would go with the Fel-Pro, its the rubber/cork blended gasket. I have used their valve cover, transmission pan, oil pan, gaskets for other projects with no leaks and no problems.

The ATP is the cheaper cork only type gasket like the picture in my first post.

Both gaskets and all the filters are available from RockAuto.com and a few others, though Rock seems to be about the cheapest when it comes to shipping as well.

I have an atp b-216 for the 42RLE. Now I'm second guessing

Edit: Just confirmed on Rockauto that this is correct. Can't say anything about the other part number.

Last edited:

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATP gasket was on point. It has the smaller holes on the corners to help hold the gasket in place. I ended up using blue loctite on all the bolts, torqued them to spec and haven't had any leaking issues.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this on the web. Seems like its a must for the transmission pan.
This gasket maker wont be dissolved or fail due to chemical reaction to Transmission Fluid.
I used it to glue the gasket to the pan.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: