4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
so I have a 06 Jeep Liberty renegade.
When I bought it, it showed a “part time”
indicator light on my dash while in 2wd when I cycled through from 2wd to 4H/4L and back. It went away, now I have no lights indicating where my transfer case is but I can feel it clicking through to 4wd and feel it when turning. Is there something I’m missing? Or should I be looking at replacing something?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the light come on when shifted into either 4x4 modes? These rigs do sometimes feel like the front is dragging a bit maneuvering in tight corners when in 2wd.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
I haven’t been able to get the lights on since I originally shifted it through the gears. I thought at the time the “part time” meant 2wd lol. Not, part time 4wd after research. So curious, I tried to have the light pop up again, but nothing does when in 4wd high. Or low.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do lights come on when key turned but not started, if so probably the the switch if not probably the bulb.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
Never noticed actually. I’ll have to check it when I hit the house. Cause I don’t believe they come on even when I do turn the key tbh.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest i don't remember if mine do either, but im happy to check. I wanna say all dash lights do as kind of a base check, but i won't bet the house on it.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 06 Renegade the brake light is the only one in that area that lights up with the key turned on

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wel, apparently I'm full of c-rap. I guess i don't pay much attention to dash lights unless they're on when they're not supposed to be.

OldJoe

Reaction score
I have an '04 that has a "Part-Time" light that blinks. Been doing this for several years. The sensor has gone bad. It's NOT an "off normal" micro switch, but an actual sensor. The difference, about $50. The sensor can't be found as an after market(at least not a couple of years ago), dealer only. I've seen that it can be replaced from underneath (if you're flexible enough) or pull the console and easily get it from the top. I've read that the replacement may not last very long, so I never changed mine.
Anyway, go on some gravel and pop the clutch to make sure you can really engage/disengage your 4WD. Once you're sure everything works right, ignore the light and enjoy your Jeep.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my sensor on my 2002 Export CRD manual has gone completely dead.
I was on a wet muddy steep uphill section and was about to slide into a major ditch to my rear.
So I yanked up the lever to put the Jeep into 4 wheel Part Time as the handbrake was not helping!
The trouble with yanking up the lever on this model at least is that the "end stop" is a feeble plastic strip which broke and caused the Sensor to overtravel.

This "sensor" is actually a strip that has several resistive strips on it...as the strip travels from say "4 wheel Part Time" to "2 wheel drive" a different Resistive strip travels between two metal contacts to advise the BCM, ECM etc. to know what mode you are in and lights up the Cluster accordingly.

I spend 99% of my time in 2 wheel drive and really do not feel like spending time and money on replacing this Sensor at this stage....need to get brakes replaced etc. which is more important now!

michael mehle

Funky Clunky Liberty
Reaction score
I bought my 07 used 2 yrs ago. The part time has been on since day one. No issues. My concern is the airbag lights on for passengers side. Previous owner had a tiny dog that chewed through the wires under the passenger seat. I pulled the seat and reconnected them. Lights still on,maybe brighter...stumped

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
Part time light means your Jeep is in “part time 4wd” when I bought mine it did the same thing. I cycled it through from 2wd to 4H/4L and back. And it went away. My airbag light comes when I turn my jeep on.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
On my 06 Renegade the brake light is the only one in that area that lights up with the key turned on
Does it show a part time light when in 4H and a full time light in 4L by chance? I’m trying to figure if I need to change my switch out. Cause I haven’t be able to get them to come on since I first switch my rig into 4wd

michael mehle

Funky Clunky Liberty
Reaction score
Part time light means your Jeep is in “part time 4wd” when I bought mine it did the same thing. I cycled it through from 2wd to 4H/4L and back. And it went away. My airbag light comes when I turn my jeep on.
07 liberty airbag lite on always...why?
Part time 4 wheel lite on always. My thoughts there is no part time with a manual lever on the **** to engage high or low. Guess that stumps me.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
Anyone know if the rough country 3” lift kit fit on a 06 Jeep Liberty renegade? Double checking before I order the wrong lift.

bowyjay

Reaction score
Never noticed actually. I’ll have to check it when I hit the house. Cause I don’t believe they come on even when I do turn the key tbh.
Check your fuses first. Dash lights = cluster 15 amp fuse in space 34/
I got the printout after asking for Diagram fuse panel and some relays just behind it.

bowyjay

Reaction score
I got the printout after asking for Diagram fuse panel and some relays just behind it.

For some reason, 34 fuse while not blown seems to loosen up and needs to be pushed in better

This has nothing to do with your car not starting. No crank may be your ignition actuator. They break easily

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.