4 wheel drive question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could be the stupidest question i'll ever ask here but her it goes. When you pull the lever up to the 4hi position is it in 4 wheel drive as soon as you pull it up or does it take a couple of tire revolutions before its engaged? i've always wondered this but felt to stupid to ask until now.:shrug:

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only takes about a 1/2 second. If you let off the throttle, it'll engage quicker from my experience

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, let off the throttle-shift to 4hi-back on the throttle. It should go right in. Find a dirt road and try it that way a couple of times. It goes right into gear.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could be the stupidest question i'll ever ask here but her it goes. When you pull the lever up to the 4hi position is it in 4 wheel drive as soon as you pull it up or does it take a couple of tire revolutions before its engaged? i've always wondered this but felt to stupid to ask until now.:shrug:
What t-case do you have? The 231 or 242?

The 231 you will be in right away but not so with the 242.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has 242, and theres enough of a delay for me to go from 2wd to 4FT without engaging 4PT even though the part time light comes on.

Either way, I put it in 4wd when coasting in gear and bye time I'm back on the gas it's in 4wd.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like troy said, it wont go into 4wd immediately if you have the 242 case. If youre turning, have different size tires, or are already spinning it most definitely will not go into 4wd right away(if at all). Ive put mine in 4 low in our yard to move boats and our camper around and I could hear it trying to go into 4low till I was rolling straight and pop the ****** into N. Usually goes right in if youre going straight and pop the ****** into N after shifting.

h0use34

Reaction score
From my understanding the proper way to engage 4lo is to be at a slight crawl as in maybe 1-2mph with the trans in N than shift to 4lo. I have never had an issue with my transfer case not engaging right away.

If im engaging my 4-lo wrong feel free to tell me before i destroy something.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding the proper way to engage 4lo is to be at a slight crawl as in maybe 1-2mph with the trans in N than shift to 4lo. I have never had an issue with my transfer case not engaging right away.

If im engaging my 4-lo wrong feel free to tell me before i destroy something.

100% correct

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow i spaced out and totally forgot i posted this ><. anyways yeah i have the 231 so i guess its in right away, good to know. thanks for the information :)