3inch lift kit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kal808

Reaction score
I have a 06 sport with a 3 inch lift and I have 265/70r16 I want to order but before I order them. Will I need to cut a lot off of the tire well?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be alright with that size and a 3 inch lift. If there is any rubbing on the pinch weld, you can pound it over.

Here is a good descriptive thread on that, although sadly the picture links are broken.

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/how-to-pound-pinch-welds-stop-fender-rubbing.34295/

Another tire size in the same 31” ballpark is 245/75R16.

Keep in mind that by going with 31’s you will lose some power and gas mileage. (I know because I have them too.) You can regear to 4.10 and get most of that back, but that’s an expensive proposition.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2.5”ish lift and have 265/70/16 on the stock wheels. They rubbed the pinch so that WILL need to be addressed. Other than that they should work. I had other rubbing issues but the Jeep was in 3 accidents prior to my purchase, 2 on the left front and one on right front.

As mentioned, a regear is recommended, but I’ve had these tire ls for 4 years now with the stock gearing. For me, it’s fine, I can and have lived with it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 06 sport with a 3 inch lift and I have 265/70r16 I want to order but before I order them. Will I need to cut a lot off of the tire well?
FIRST THING
what wheels, i.e. width, backspacing , makes a lot of difference in what fits what does not ( answer that before we can give a real answer )
Will have to pound over the pinch weld of course no matter what

Kal808

Reaction score
FIRST THING
what wheels, i.e. width, backspacing , makes a lot of difference in what fits what does not ( answer that before we can give a real answer )
Will have to pound over the pinch weld of course no matter what

I have Procomp A/T tires 42657016XL and 1.25 inch spacers. I don't know what you mean by "Width, and Backspacing". How do I find that out?

Kal808

Reaction score
You should be alright with that size and a 3 inch lift. If there is any rubbing on the pinch weld, you can pound it over.

Here is a good descriptive thread on that, although sadly the picture links are broken.

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/how-to-pound-pinch-welds-stop-fender-rubbing.34295/

Another tire size in the same 31” ballpark is 245/75R16.

Keep in mind that by going with 31’s you will lose some power and gas mileage. (I know because I have them too.) You can regear to 4.10 and get most of that back, but that’s an expensive proposition.

What is regearing? Sorry this is my first car that I'm modifying. So I'm still learning alot and could use all the help I can get.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Procomp A/T tires 42657016XL and 1.25 inch spacers. I don't know what you mean by "Width, and Backspacing". How do I find that out?
So you have aftermarket wheels and spacers ?? Why
and when you bought the wheels you had to order a certain width didn't you
backspacing is where the part where the wheel sits on the hub how far out from center
for instance a 7 inch wide wheel with 3.5 inches of backspacing would be even on both sides of the mounting point
a good wheel for a KJ when lifted in 7 inches wide with 4 inches of backspacing
Find out what you have exactly and report back, other side we are just guessing
as far as a regear if you get a tire to tall, then you lose both power , mileage and also harder on your transmission

Kal808

Reaction score
backspacing is where the part where the wheel sits on the hub how far out from center
for instance a 7 inch wide wheel with 3.5 inches of backspacing would be even on both sides of the mounting point
as far as a regear if you get a tire to tall, then you lose both power , mileage and also harder on your transmission

I went to "4 Wheel Parts" store and they were the ones who gave me all the parts that would be needed in order to function properly but something was off in my head, told me I should talk with ya'll first. Before I invest a lot of money. They said I have a 5.5 and a 8 inch width wheel.

Kal808

Reaction score
I went to "4 Wheel Parts" store and they were the ones who gave me all the parts that would be needed in order to function properly but something was off in my head, told me I should talk with ya'll first. Before I invest a lot of money. They said I have a 5.5 and a 8 inch width wheel.
Sorry 4.5 BS

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First mistake, going to 4 Wheel Parts store
Bad backspacing if it is 4.5 inches and 8 inch wheel
and you stated you run spacers ? Trying to figure out why you are running spacers with aftermarket wheels
If you have that combo ( 8 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of back spacing stick with 265-70-16s
They sit on a 8 inch wide wheel really well
Your backspacing will cause some turning issues hitting the pinch weld and in front on lower bumper area but can be a easy enough redesign of that area
As far as regearing to 4.10s, on one of my KJs I run 265-70-16s and 4.10s which brings it back to just like stock gearing and mileage
But you can run without, just know your mileage will drop some and you will lose some power and transmission will be shifting more trying to find the right gear

What kind of lift did they stick you with ?

Also no cutting on pinch weld just bend over unless you want to weaken that area ( will have to cut inner liner to het to pinch weld but you melt that back into place

Last edited:

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
What is regearing? Sorry this is my first car that I'm modifying. So I'm still learning alot and could use all the help I can get.

Re-gearing is changing the ring and pinion in the axles to a slightly lower ratio (from 3.55 to 4.10) which puts the rpms back in the factory designed running range. With taller tires, the torque from the engine is reduced because the original axle ratios won't transfer power to the wheels as well.

https://www.intercotire.com/tire_size_change_gear_ratio_calculator

will show you how it all interrelates. Plug in your old tire size, new tire and gear ratio in the blue part, then compare against the new ratio needed.

Kal808

Reaction score
First mistake, going to 4 Wheel Parts store
Bad backspacing if it is 4.5 inches and 8 inch wheel
and you stated you run spacers ? Trying to figure out why you are running spacers with aftermarket wheels
If you have that combo ( 8 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of back spacing stick with 265-70-16s
They sit on a 8 inch wide wheel really well
Your backspacing will cause some turning issues hitting the pinch weld and in front on lower bumper area but can be a easy enough redesign of that area
As far as regearing to 4.10s, on one of my KJs I run 265-70-16s and 4.10s which brings it back to just like stock gearing and mileage
But you can run without, just know your mileage will drop some and you will lose some power and transmission will be shifting more trying to find the right gear

What kind of lift did they stick you with ?

Also no cutting on pinch weld just bend over unless you want to weaken that area ( will have to cut inner liner to het to pinch weld but you melt that back into place

They gave me this lift -
Rough Country 3" Jeep Suspension Lift Kit with Coil Springs and N3 Shocks - 692.20 | 4wheelparts.com

these Spacers
G2 5 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern with 1.25" Wheel Spacers (Black) - 93-65-125 | 4wheelparts.com

these Rims
Pro Comp 32 Series Bandido, 16x8 Wheel with 5 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern - Flat Black - 7032-6865 | 4wheelparts.com

these Tires
Pro Comp A/T Sport Tires | 4wheelparts.com

I went there because in Honolulu there is only 2 real shops that do lift kits, everywhere else is more mom and pop shop set ups with no fault policies.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry,
sure wish you would of come here sooner and saved some money and aggravation

The lift they sold you is one of the worst you can use, it is not a full spring lift like you should be using on an older model KJ , using old sagged stock springs on a spacer lift is never a good way to go. But you are stuck with it now so good luck

Next you did not need wheel spacers with those wheels if they are 4.5 inches of backspacing , if you do need to run them they sold you the wrong wheels ( wrong backspacing ) for the backspacing needed

That is what you get at 4 Wheel Parts, people who have no idea what they are selling you, they are just there to sell parts.
I interviewed with one of their new stores a few years ago and went to 4 of their stores to see how they did and sold things, needless to say I turned down their management offer

On level ground, go to the left front, measure from the middle of the wheel ( hub) to bottom of the flare and report back what you measure

also did they align it for you after lift install ?

Last edited:

Kal808

Reaction score
Can you recommend a better lift?

Nothing is set in stone yet. I have a scheduled appointment for the lift to be put in on the 20th.

I have band new front struts and springs btw. I haven't installed them yet

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a better lift?

Nothing is set in stone yet. I have a scheduled appointment for the lift to be put in on the 20th.

I have band new front struts and springs btw. I haven't installed them yet
Only lift is what most of us use, have used and recommend, OME springs and either OME or Bilstein shocks
everything you need is listed on here , if you can't find let me know

Latest posts

Members online