$35 to repair a tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friday I brought my Lib to the dealer for them to replace all the rear brake components because of a growling noise, the service manager told me the noise I was expereiencing was not the same noise referred to as the brake moan issue, so they replaced all the brakes parts, anyway when I brought it in I asked them while they had the right rear wheel of to take a look at it because I was loosing air in that tire, when I picked it up I was handed a bill for $35.00 for tire repair, they said there was a nail in the tire, believe me I checked that tire very carefully and did not see any nail and suspected the valve was leaking. I do not mind paying reasonable charges for services performed, but thought this price was not reaonable, I refuse to pay, said I never asked them to repair the tire, just asked them to check it.
The service manager told me he would call me on Monday and work something out, like I said I will pay the equivalent of what a service station would charge, around $10.00, but not $35.00, heck $35.00 is equivalent to half the cost of anew tire

Bob

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, thats purty stupid. Dealers are stupid. Try to find the plug, and if you cant ask them to show it to you.

What kind of tires do you buy for $70? I dont think im going to be using those.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I've had some tires patched/plugged about a year ago, and the going rate in Cincinnati is $25.00. I thought that was bad.

Old Navy

Reaction score
Do like I do and spend $30 at area tire center (they have stores in all the major town & cities within 100 miles or so) and buy the road hazard and then you have the free rotation, balancing, repairs, etc.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

Firestone Destination A/T's run about $79 on Tire Rack if im not mistaken.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tire thing will be important to me too. Out West we have a great outfit called Les Schwab that pretty much has the corner on the market for Toyo's, has stores everywhere, fixes and maintains tires for free and has a road hazard. So has anyone used Toyo AT's? Were they any good? I would like to continue to buy at Les Schwab!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$35?! That is a dealer!

Good for you Bob. Don't let those guys get away with it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
jeepjeepster said:

Lol, show me some pics of your jeep with 26in tires! Think of all that torque!

245/65/17's are $114. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
2003KJ said:
jeepjeepster said:

Lol, show me some pics of your jeep with 26in tires! Think of all that torque!

245/65/17's are $114. O:)

235/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T's...$89/tire.

clicky here

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$8 is all it costs to get a tire repaired here in scranton, PA. a nice place called Eddy's Tire & Auto on Washburn St. you go in tell them what u need they take ur keys and u have a seat in the waiting room. and while there u can help urself to free coffee or hot chocolate, pizza, hotdogs and what ever else they have out. and when ur done u get a coupon for $5 off ur next visit (excluding tire repairs) and u get to take whatever food product they have on the rack(loaf of bread, bag of chips, etc.) in the waiting area home. not sure if they still do this but they used to give out a lottery ticket as well. they usually do a really great job. very quick service as long as its not an all day project. i love to go there for any non-warranty work. towing is also free.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our local tire place (Town Fair Tire) has done mtine for free a couple of times. I dont know if this is standard for them or what, but even with the factory tires, they did it gratis.

That does seem like an outrageous price.

-Blu

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had somwhat of a rude awakening today, I live in New Orleans and 6 months after Katrina there is not mch going on, anyway it was warm (hot) today so I decided to pull the tire off the Lib, threw it in the Ram and went to get the tire repaired, only to find there are are very few places repairing tires, most gas stations if open are only pumping gas, most Goodyear and Firestone stores have not reopened, found a tire shop open that was doing tire repairs, they quoted me $25.00 and a 2 day turn around on the repair, found a Wally World open but not doing tire repair, bought one of them do it yourself repair kits for $6 and did it myself, first tire repair for me but appears not to be leaking

Bob

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob, well, glad you got it done. Let us know if it starts to leak. I haven't tried anything but a bicycle tire before.

And I bet it's quite around NO. How's your house doing by the way?

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My house is doing fine, I was very fortunate to be on the fringe of the devistation, sort of feel guilty, needed a new roof, while most of my area was totally under water, I was truly amazing to see how just a few street blocks made a world of difference, while me and my few neighbors are living llike nothing happened, we have to drive miles for the simple things in life, shopping, getting gas, even have to drive to get a morning newspaper, and mail service is not scheduled to resume until at least April,,
The difference in a few miles is unbelievable drive from the flooded area across the canal that flooded and it's like a different world.

Bob

matt2wheels

Reaction score
Here in town there's a little hole-in-the-wall tire shop called Pacific Tire--I think they have a chain of stores, maybe as far south as LA but I know they're in Bakersfield and Delano besides Wasco. Anyway, we started doing business there a few years ago because Big O tires was scared of anything other than standard auto tires--like tractor rears, split rings, tubes, etc. Anyway these guys are awesome. Only the manager speaks English but when you pull up you'd swear it's NASCAR. I drove in my Durango one day looking for tires, they didn't have the size I needed but they still had it up on jacks and had 2 wheels off before we could stop them. Tire repairs are $5, split rings a little more. We've had them change 32 ply AIRPLANE tires on an earthmover and they only charged like $40 for the job--a job that takes about 4 man hours. They just put some Michelins on my Duramax and their price INSTALLED was Tire Rack's purchase price. They beat Big O, they beat Wal Mart, they beat Costco. The place is an friggen ant hill of activity from when they roll open the door at 7 am until they go home at 8, sometimes later. Give them a call on Sunday, even if you have a flat, they'll open for you and fix your tire. For $5.

So, I guess all I can say is maybe take a look at your neighborhood Rinky-Dink tire shop, it may shock you how much profit the big tire dealers tack onto their services. And sure as hell don't put up with lousy service, someone out there wants your business.