30K service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddielee

Reaction score
I don't know if this question has ever been asked - I just bought this KJ (my first Jeep), '07 Limited. It turned 30K the day I purchased it and the sellling GM dealer supposedly serviced it. They didn't change the spark plugs as called for in the maintanence schedule -- how important is it, with the 3.7 v-6 engine, to change out the plugs every 30,000 miles as called for in both the A and B maintanence schedules? I've read your posts about the kind of plugs to use, but nothing on how often you guys actually change them in a Jeep product.:(

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine at 30.000mi (50.000km) were totally shot... next ones will be changed at 15.000mi interval (25.000km) when my KJ have ~45.000mi (75.000km).

I use the NGK's b/c the Autolite are ridiculously expensive here.

Cheers! :)

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine at 57K were almost gone, so yes, I would say it is a regularly scheduled item that must be performed. for them to "service" it, all they did was check for leaks, check fluid levels, clean it so it looks like it was maintained, and put it on the lot.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs are cheap and it never hurts to change them if you're not sure.

Some do a yearly change (15,000), some at the 30,000 interval. I think a lot of the dealers ignore the plugs, despite the A/B service intervals. My dealer did all my service in the first 5 years of the KJ's life, and at the end of the five years, I looked at my plugs and they looked like they had never been changed. It's possible they were changed at 30,000, because I was looking at them around 70000, but they sure looked stock to me.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the Kj coils fire them suckers hot all right, long overdue at 50k miles. Measure the gap from the old ones, when you get them out and post back what the gap size is!
I replace mine at every 20k.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very important to change your plugs. They are cheap and they are a key part to the ignition system.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
mine get changed out every 20,000 miles, no matter what, I think I am on the 7th set of plugs now, they are cheap to buy, easy to install and keeps it running great.

Eddielee

Reaction score
Thanks for the Info - any idea what (ballpark figure) a dealer would charge for the 30K service? These days, I can't lean over the fenders like I used to.

jas32

Reaction score
Thanks for the Info - any idea what (ballpark figure) a dealer would charge for the 30K service? These days, I can't lean over the fenders like I used to.

I would guess around $200 just for the plug change. That's what they charged me for my minivan a few months ago (got backed into a corner since I had an OBD light on). They'll probably try to sell you a fluid change for the front and rear axles plus the TCase.

Did the KJ myself, plugs are less than $30.

inklegg

Reaction score
30k service is around $600....I called about mine a few months ago and realized I needed to save up to get it done. Now Im at 37k and still dont have enough saved.....need to get it done though.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find yourself a reputable mechanic, and have the plugs done by them and not the dealer. only thing i would consider having the dealer do is a transmission flush/filter change.

you could probably do the diff and t-case yourself. the front diff and the t-case both have drain and fill plugs. the rear diff requires removing the cover, but all in all, it's not a hard job. no worse than an oil change if you ask me.