3 years...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjs2063

Reaction score
I'm getting a wee bit concerned reading this post. I see one person was hoping to replace his engine at 80K and another guy had a new engine around 100K. Is this a problem with the engine or just driving it like a jeep that caused the need or desire for engine replacements.

I would expect to be able to get well over 200k miles with proper maintenance before having to rebuild replace trannies and engines.

BTW the wifes KJ is a 2007 limited that we bought May 2009 with 18000 miles on it. It just passed 40K miles. She loves it.

I wish it did a little better in the mpg department. (my 2009 Ram 4x4 hemi gets better mpg) and the suspension could have been tuned better imo. Its a bit too harsh and noisy when it doesn't have to be. But otherwise we love it and plan to keep it for a long time.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I know one of those was replaced due to the fact it was ran with no oil in it, anything will die real quick with that...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting a wee bit concerned reading this post. I see one person was hoping to replace his engine at 80K and another guy had a new engine around 100K. Is this a problem with the engine or just driving it like a jeep that caused the need or desire for engine replacements.

I would expect to be able to get well over 200k miles with proper maintenance before having to rebuild replace trannies and engines.

BTW the wifes KJ is a 2007 limited that we bought May 2009 with 18000 miles on it. It just passed 40K miles. She loves it.

I wish it did a little better in the mpg department. (my 2009 Ram 4x4 hemi gets better mpg) and the suspension could have been tuned better imo. Its a bit too harsh and noisy when it doesn't have to be. But otherwise we love it and plan to keep it for a long time.

Don't worry, Ohio KJs don't have that problem. ThunderbirdJunkie's, tommudd's, and cd03kj all are hovering around 140-160,000 right now, with no forseeable end.

Ohionium is the secret to a happy 3.7!

Also, budke's engine died of unnatural causes (lack of oil) and tjkj2002 is putting a gnarly V8 in his. That's why the replacement ;)

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget when I purchased the KJ... It's been 7 years? maybe 8 now? I don't remember.

Anyway all stock minus the replaceable wear and tear items and it's still running like a champ.

I think the driveline will outlive the body

bjs2063

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with my 3.7 and is running very strong,just got that itch for a V8 since there's no replacement for displacement and trying to push 6000+lbs of KJ needs alot of displacement.

lol, almost true. Thanks for the update or clarification. Might be kinda tight stuffing a V8 in a KJ, you're gonna need either a large shoe horn or a really big hammer.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with my 3.7 and is running very strong,just got that itch for a V8 since there's no replacement for displacement and trying to push 6000+lbs of KJ needs alot of displacement.

Yeah, and we know that is real hard miles on your 3.7 with you redlining it all the time trying to break it so you have an excuse to shoehorn and BFH a 426 crate hemi or something in there........haha:D

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, almost true. Thanks for the update or clarification. Might be kinda tight stuffing a V8 in a KJ, you're gonna need either a large shoe horn or a really big hammer.
The Ford small block I'm putting in is lighter and physically smaller then the 3.7 V6,it is a cast iron block and alloy heads just like the 3.7 also.It also has 408 cubic inch displacement while being 60lbs lighter,about 100lbs of weight reduction will occur since the entire AC system will go bye-bye also.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The Ford small block I'm putting in is lighter and physically smaller then the 3.7 V6,it is a cast iron block and alloy heads just like the 3.7 also.It also has 408 cubic inch displacement while being 60lbs lighter,about 100lbs of weight reduction will occur since the entire AC system will go bye-bye also.

So I take it a stand alone fuel injection system?
Small block C6 ******?
How much (Conservative) Horse Power are you looking at the rear wheels?
I'd guess around 375 HP and 390-425 foot pounds of torque?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I take it a stand alone fuel injection system?
Small block C6 ******?
How much (Conservative) Horse Power are you looking at the rear wheels?
I'd guess around 375 HP and 390-425 foot pounds of torque?
Yes it will have stand alone FI.I'm opting for a heavily modified AOD(yeah I know hence the "heavily modified" part) since I kinda need the OD.Should be running about 430-450HP and 475-500lbs-ft or torque on premium pump gas at the crank.

Still not 100% on the 408 though,may tone it down some and go with a 347 with about 390hp and 430lbs-ft of torque for $3000 less and 20lbs lighter then the 408.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yes it will have stand alone FI.I'm opting for a heavily modified AOD(yeah I know hence the "heavily modified" part) since I kinda need the OD.Should be running about 430-450HP and 475-500lbs-ft or torque on premium pump gas at the crank.

Still not 100% on the 408 though,may tone it down some and go with a 347 with about 390hp and 430lbs-ft of torque for $3000 less and 20lbs lighter then the 408.

What kind of FI you thinking of running?