3 in 1, Oil on Radiator, Low Steering Fluid, and Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just taking pictures to post in the "Coolant" topic, and noticed these:

You must be registered for see images

What is this oily leak that's coming out of that bolt?

and

very low steering fluid:

What kind of fluid do I have to buy to top that steering fluid to at least Min Cold.

and

Is this too much rust and eating up my jeep?

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Oil on radiator - What does it smell like? Stick your finger in it and see what it smells like (motor oil, ****** fluid, power steering fluid).

As for the low power steering fluid, i've noticed they like to go low on these things. I usually have to top mine off once every 8 months or so, and I can't figure out where its going. I usually just use some regular power steering fluid (Napa brand, but any will do) and have had no ill effects. I believe it tells you in your owners manual what kind to use.

Rust - Don't worry about that rust. Mine looks like that in some spots, and I live in the south :eek:

I have to wonder if you've got a power steering fluid leak, with the lack of fluid, and oil like substance on the radiator. Definitely fill that power steering up ASAP.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Valvoline Synpower Powersteering fluid. Mine has went low like that before(not that low) but its been fine since.

Any fluid on the back side of that bolt area? Ever seen anything on the ground? it doesnt look like antifreeze..

These rads are known for cracking and leaking. I think you would of seen something on the ground by now though.

That rust is nothing to worry about. It wouldnt hurt to spray the underbody off at least once a month in the winter though. I spray my underbody off after I drive in salt. So thats usually once a week.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your power steering fluid is very low or needs re topping every few months you must have a leak ,there is no were else for it to go,try squeezing the rubber boots on the steering rack and see if its leaking into there.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JIMMY JEEP is right you should never loose any PS fluid,if you are you have a leak somewhere,oil doesn't evaporate.5 1/2 years and I have not ever had to add PS fluid.

You can use ATF+4 or any other full synthetic PS fluid.

Check the upper raditor hose(one by the battery) to make sure it isn't leaking or the raditor has a crack in it.That could explain the low coolant level you have.Also those OEM spring clamps that hold the hoses on from the factory are junk,swapped mine to better worn gear type hose clamps.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am heading out now, so I will just buy Valvoline Synpower Powersteering or something similar to that, I will check the manual for the type indicated, in case I cannot find Volvoline.

I will check other things mentioned.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to get fancy you could take a sample of the fluid. Put it in a glass of water. Then try and mix it with a fork. Let stand for a few secs. If the fluid mixes with water it is either water or coolant. If the fluid stays on top it is oil.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I might actually do that. I need Q-Tip, though.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed my ps hoses are leaking up by the radiator. I am at 44k now and a little surprised. They are leaking at the swedged fitting before the u shaped hard fitting that makes a u turn back to the pump from the ps control unit.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed my ps hoses are leaking up by the radiator. I am at 44k now and a little surprised. They are leaking at the swedged fitting before the u shaped hard fitting that makes a u turn back to the pump from the ps control unit.

It wouldnt happen to be where they rub together would it? I saw where some of mine where rubbing so I put some wire loom around them. Seems to be working out great.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the atf+4 mix with other power steering fluids? also for you guys that have found the leaks could you post pics of where please?

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's not where they're chaffing, I fixed that, but it's where the rubber form the hose goes into the metal swedge part with the fittings. It was a poor swedge job it appears to me. I just called the stealership and they want $117 for the pressure hose. Since I have the ext warr, it will be going in next week.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh wow, we just put new hoses on the old grand and it was only $70 for both high and low pressure hoses. We got them from napa though.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Valvoline Synpower Powersteering fluid. Mine has went low like that before(not that low) but its been fine since.

Any fluid on the back side of that bolt area? Ever seen anything on the ground? it doesnt look like antifreeze..

These rads are known for cracking and leaking. I think you would of seen something on the ground by now though.

That rust is nothing to worry about. It wouldnt hurt to spray the underbody off at least once a month in the winter though. I spray my underbody off after I drive in salt. So thats usually once a week.

I second his advice on keeping a jeep clean and not rusty! He keeps the cleanest jeep of anyone i know of. If anyone knows its him =D

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the call from the dealer, both hoses are bad, replacing them, and I also had them check the brakes as I thought I had the lt fr caliper dragging. Turns out the rt fr caliper was NOT dragging or doing much else for that matter so a new caliper is required too.

Really glad I got the ext warr this time.

$25 deductible and away we go!

Keep an eye on your power steering hoses at the fittings up by the cooler. Not sure if they had a bad batch of hoses of what.