3.7L Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 02 had a Borla catback dual setup on it when I bought it. Whoever installed it did a good job and it still sounds great even after the almost 100k I've put on it. I priced them a while back and it was over 500 for the kit. I wouldn't have done it but glad the PO did. Doubt it adds any performance but sounds like it does. I think 3.7L performance is an oxymoron. :gr_grin:

:happy175:...................ditto

Dave

2002KJLimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I tried swapping my friend's 12'' cherrybomb (2.5'' diameter) on in place of my dump pipe. It was interesting because it felt like it was choking the engine a lot. Acceleration was slower and the power felt down. It was also just as loud as no muffler. I swapped it back the next day, after this experience I will probably never install another muffler on my KJ unless I live somewhere with strict noise enforcement. Not that I'm dissing cherrybomb, I just don't think it works well with my setup, would probably work better with a full length exhaust system, the reasoning is that the exhaust pulses won't reverberate as quickly.

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He may not be dissing cherrybomb, but I am! Frickin annoying as hell those things. Might as well take the whole exhaust off from the manifolds back. If you want your exhaust to sound good and have adequate back pressure and airflow. That is NOT the way.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He may not be dissing cherrybomb, but I am! Frickin annoying as hell those things. Might as well take the whole exhaust off from the manifolds back. If you want your exhaust to sound good and have adequate back pressure and airflow. That is NOT the way.

So true.................

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So true.................

X3....................

nnote

Reaction score
I have a 2006, stock. My Daughters mom has a 2004 with K&N Air intake and a power chip plus 31" tires, from the previous owner.
I wouldn't have done the K&N, but regardless... Her's definitely rumbles much deeper then min and can also chirp those 31" tires. I probably cant chirp the 29's cause the traction control... but still, it for sure got quite a bit more go then mine, an impressive amount more. Difference is though, her's chuggs down the gas and mine just sipps it..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2006, stock. My Daughters mom has a 2004 with K&N Air intake and a power chip plus 31" tires, from the previous owner.
I wouldn't have done the K&N, but regardless... Her's definitely rumbles much deeper then min and can also chirp those 31" tires. I probably cant chirp the 29's cause the traction control... but still, it for sure got quite a bit more go then mine, an impressive amount more. Difference is though, her's chuggs down the gas and mine just sipps it..

K&N does nothing at all for power or mileage, well maybe make it worse, her's chugs the gas due to running larger tires without regearing.
power chip ? not worth the money or time really

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a Thrush Turbo muffler. Mainly because of the price. Brand new for $25. If I hate it I can buy something else. I'm not looking for performance gains or a cool sound. I just needed a cheap replacement for my rusted stock muffler. Hopefully doesn't drone too badly.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost did the same when I replaced mine but decided not to (mostly due to prior experiences with a thrush muffler) and decided to go with a walker soundfx. No regrets whatsoever. Think I paid 35 with free shipping for it 2 years ago, still works great, sounds great..

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After $25 for the Thrush Turbo muffler and $30 for the muffler shop to install it, I can say I couldn't be happier! It gave my Jeep a deeper sound and I don't think it's much louder than stock. Cruising on the highway I can't hear it at all. In fact all I hear is the tire whine. I'm going to link to my video, but it doesn't do it justice. It sounds louder on the video than real life. Also, headphones are recommended.

https://youtu.be/KaOrXfjpft8

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After $25 for the Thrush Turbo muffler and $30 for the muffler shop to install it, I can say I couldn't be happier! It gave my Jeep a deeper sound and I don't think it's much louder than stock. Cruising on the highway I can't hear it at all. In fact all I hear is the tire whine. I'm going to link to my video, but it doesn't do it justice. It sounds louder on the video than real life. Also, headphones are recommended.

https://youtu.be/KaOrXfjpft8
That sounds great.

May just be the angle but it looks like you need a new rear passenger tire.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm getting JBA controls arms put on today then getting Toyo Open Country AT2's P245/75 R16 tires asap.

Dayspring78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend put them on for free but now I'm having alignment issues. He also did the alignment and was like that's the best I can do. Meanwhile the camber is still in the red and my right tire is in the green and my left is in the yellow. I think my adjustment bolts may be seized. They weren't turning very easily.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My friend put them on for free but now I'm having alignment issues. He also did the alignment and was like that's the best I can do. Meanwhile the camber is still in the red and my right tire is in the green and my left is in the yellow. I think my adjustment bolts may be seized. They weren't turning very easily.

On a machine or eyeballed the alignment ?
If its out that bad then has to be a bad alignment or bolts seized
Did he say they were ? He would know if he tried to do an alignment