3.7 cranks and tries to fire, but wont start, no obd Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually interesting (to me). When I worked at the VW dealer, the technicians there had told me that on the diesels, you use silicone spray for this on those engines... not normal "starting fluid". The starting fluid was too explosive and could damage the engines.. much like what has been stated here. But that the silicone spray, while still combustible, was more compatible with the high compression and necessary lubricating properties that diesel engines require to burn as fuel.

I had a friend and former co-worker told me about why starting fluid got banned at our job. Since someone -cough- manager -cough- decided to use a heavy amount of ether on a Diesel Engine, resulting in a flame coming out of the air intake and promptly starting a fire.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually interesting (to me). When I worked at the VW dealer, the technicians there had told me that on the diesels, you use silicone spray for this on those engines... not normal "starting fluid". The starting fluid was too explosive and could damage the engines.. much like what has been stated here. But that the silicone spray, while still combustible, was more compatible with the high compression and necessary lubricating properties that diesel engines require to burn as fuel.

Common rail diesels you can't use anything,will ruin the engines regardless of what you use.Non-CRD's starting fluid and ether is what you use.

Spraying a flammable substance in the intake does not need to have any lubrication at all.The lubrication part is required if going through the high pressure pump then through the injectors.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a friend and former co-worker told me about why starting fluid got banned at our job. Since someone -cough- manager -cough- decided to use a heavy amount of ether on a Diesel Engine, resulting in a flame coming out of the air intake and promptly starting a fire.

In the Marines they still have a few 800 series 5 tons with a 240 cummins engine that has a glowplug in the intake manifold and a injector right next to it that sprays in ether for cold starts.Thus creating a fire in the intake to warm the incoming cold air.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Marines they still have a few 800 series 5 tons with a 240 cummins engine that has a glowplug in the intake manifold and a injector right next to it that sprays in ether for cold starts.Thus creating a fire in the intake to warm the incoming cold air.

I'm no diesel mechanic... but I've seen those cold start injectors before. Work well for when they're intended to.

I can see how a lot of people go nuts on the starting fluid(s). Just spray a boatload of this stuff into the intake or spark plug hole, crank her over and BAM! .. or POP! POOF! FIRE!

Personally, on a car engine that I cant afford to replace if I wanted to, I'd be using a fuel pressure gauge at the rail (if equipped with the schraeder valve), or testing voltage to the pump before spraying a secondary fuel into the engine.

Some days I miss my cars with TBI... one big, single injector and you could easily SEE the fuel spraying out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no diesel mechanic... but I've seen those cold start injectors before. Work well for when they're intended to.

I can see how a lot of people go nuts on the starting fluid(s). Just spray a boatload of this stuff into the intake or spark plug hole, crank her over and BAM! .. or POP! POOF! FIRE!

Personally, on a car engine that I cant afford to replace if I wanted to, I'd be using a fuel pressure gauge at the rail (if equipped with the schraeder valve), or testing voltage to the pump before spraying a secondary fuel into the engine.

Some days I miss my cars with TBI... one big, single injector and you could easily SEE the fuel spraying out.

Yep.

Gotta remember also that starting fluids and ether will also damage the cats.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how things change with regards to automotive troubleshooting. I have all of my dads documentation and how-to's from his time as a VW dealer tech back in the late 70s.. talk about funky/different! Everything was so mechanical.

Jeepy... any update on how this is going?

bigCdog

Reaction score
Put gas in a spray bottle and spray in the intake instead of starter fluid/ether.